The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster hose trim
Hi what do people use as the hose for the top edge of the body panel at the sides of a Ulster where you step into the car.  From old photos it looks to be about the same diameter as the rim of the steering wheel so about 1", but all the ones we have tried all appear a bit lose and the wall of the tube need to be thicker.  Any one have a suggestion, the one in the photo is 1" diameter with a wall thickness of about 1/4".

.jpg   IMG_7667.JPG (Size: 33.67 KB / Downloads: 318)
Hi Douglas,

When I bought mine many years ago (from Pentonville Rubber) I was told it was hydraulic hose for milking machines. It is reinforced like the one in your photo. They may use something different now though.

Peter.
If the o/d is 1" the hose is probably SAE 100R6 -10, which is 5/8ths inch bore low pressure oil hose reinforced with a single textile braid. Hydraulic hose bore is sized in "dash" sizes of 1/16th of an inch, so dash 10 is 10/16ths or 5/8ths inch etc. Any hydraulic hose trade counter will give you an offcut if you ask nicely.
I used 3/4" car heater hose, and find it very satisfactory. It is fabric reinforced and quite rigid enough to stay in place with 3 clips. one each end and one at the lowest point. It used to be available form any good car accessory shop.
(07-03-2018, 11:33 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote: I used 3/4" car heater hose, and find it very satisfactory. It is fabric reinforced and quite rigid enough to stay in place with 3 clips. one each end and one at the lowest point. It used to be available form any good car accessory shop.

and preload the ends towards the centre. A stripe of Sikaflex down the length inside would be a belt and braces solution.  cheers  russell
(07-03-2018, 12:40 PM)squeak Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 11:33 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote: I used 3/4" car heater hose, and find it very satisfactory. It is fabric reinforced and quite rigid enough to stay in place with 3 clips. one each end and one at the lowest point. It used to be available form any good car accessory shop.

and preload the ends towards the centre. A stripe of Sikaflex down the length inside would be a belt and braces solution.  cheers  russell

Thanks for the tips, I'll give a 3/4" hose a go that might look better.