The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rebuilt engine leaking oil....
Morning chaps,

I have a engine which has been freshened up, when I returned to the garage after filling it with oil, it has leaked everywhere. I pulled the gearbox thinking its from the rear oil seal but I don’t see any oil, after much reading I saw a comment about sump bolts coming into the bottom of the engine and oil seeping past the bolt ! can that be the case, it lost all its oil in 24 hours ? any other ideas ? I’ve purchased a 2mm sump gasket and will do my best to have the mating surfaces as flat as possible. Should I then locktight the sump bolts ? extra sealant etc..

As always, thanks in advance for your comments …

Matt
Hi Matt

I had leaks from the sump bolts recently but whilst a fair bit of oil dripped out it was no way near an engine full.

I took the sump bolts out smeared with sealant and refitted. The engine is now oil tight.

Howard
What year of crankcase do you have?
I have no idea of the year, the car is '31 but the engine number is M147652 -  

Back to goolge for the answer : seems a 31 engine number !
To lose all the oil suggests a major sump problem, old tin sumps were not desperately robust when new.
Matt,

The circled fixing holes are most likely open to the oil, with your year of crankcase.

I have used fibre washers under the flat washers to seal these fixings, but you may also need to use some sort of sealing on the threads here too.

If the yellow point has ever been repaired it may be open to oil, too…    
Agree with Ruairidh that these locations are the most likely to be open. However,, to loose a sump full of oil does seem excessive even if all locations are leaking. You did put the sump plug in and fully tighten it didn't you. A regular poster on here made that mistake some years ago!! I gave up with sump studs a few engines ago and now use 1/4" BSW Engineering studs with nylocs. Fitted with a silicone sump gasket, sump oil leaks are a thing of the past - as long as you fit the sump plug.

Steve
(25-03-2024, 01:12 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Agree with Ruairidh that these locations are the most likely to be open. However,, to loose a sump full of oil does seem excessive even if all locations are leaking. You did put the sump plug in and fully tighten it didn't you. A regular poster on here made that mistake some years ago!! I gave up with sump studs a few engines ago and now use 1/4" BSW Engineering studs with nylocs. Fitted with a silicone sump gasket, sump oil leaks are a thing of the past - as long as you fit the sump plug.

Steve

Never mind the studs... that's a great engine stand you have Steve.
The only time my sump leaked a lot of oil overnight was the time I had put the sump back on with new-made sump bolts and they felt tight but some were 'grounding' and the sump was not sealed!