The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start? New (old) Austin 7
Hey all,

I have recently inherited the below off my uncle, who bought one at the same time as my Grandpa back in the early 1970's. Grandpas got restored to pristine and this one they got up and running motor/chassis wise (but the body is a bit knackered).

I have just got it to my property and was going to try my hand at getting it rolling again. Engine turns over but needs to be put back together, and the chassis is rust free having been done in the 70's and then stored in the shed watching the other Austin get all the love.

Not quite sure where to start though! Seems best to just start getting the engine running and then worry about cosmetics like the body afterwards? I think thre is a long slow road ahead of me.

Any advice appreciated!

I do have quite a few original body panels, wheels, door parts, most of the original woodwork (holding together just about enough for making a templates of parts), original steering wheel/column, original seats radiator, hood etc. But the body does look pretty rough and seems quite twisted with some panels being welded and some have patches, not sure if I would ever be able to get it together straight again and how much of a problem that would be?
Hi Adrian

My first step would be to join a club. The one appropriate to you (from the Austin Seven Clubs Association) is

https://www.austin.co.nz/

It looks like you have an R saloon, often called a ‘Top Hat’, probably about 1927/8.

Without seeing the body in the flesh it’s difficult to advise. I’m sure there will be someone in the club that can visit?

Cheers

Howard
Proceed with caution, but a running engine is a great morale booster and helps keep you going with the rest of the project.
It can all be repaired, even if you have to enlist some outside help, and if effort is put in the finished result will reward you many times over. 
I would recommend investing in a copy of "The 750 Companion" and perhaps also "The Austin Seven Manual" (by Doug Woodrow) - between these two volumes you should find a lot of useful information to help you along.
Adrian,
There are quite a number of R / Top Hat saloons in NZ so you should not have any problem with assistance.
I'd appreciate some chassis / body / engine numbers when you have time. Thanks.
Chris ( Type R , Top Hat Registrar )
Adrian, you would be well advised to contact Athow Santamaria. He occasionally posts here, is reasonably local to you, and an absolute genius with body work. He is on the front cover of the latest Shed Magazine with his current project.
Black Art Enthusiast
The Shed magazine April / May 2024.

https://the-shed.nz/the-shed-magazine-ap...-sale-now/

Hey Chris,

This was the info on the parts that I could find

To sum up, the car as it is has an unknown chassis number (i couldn't read it) and motor M51880.

The chassis below (51443) matches the engine that is currently in the car, but not sure if this chassis is repairable.

Two spare engine blocks M11900 and M46156, but not really sure if they would run.

Seems like quite a mix match of stuff.

Also, I couldn't seem to find a body number anywhere.

Hope this was what you were after.
Adrian

Thanks for the pointers as well. Will look at joining up to the vintage austin register.

I seem to be missing the throttle return spring, so that might be my first thing to do, along with tinkering at anything and everything

Bit of a (maybe) silly question. But what fuel type is recommended and do they need lead additive? I remember with the MG I had I needed to add an additive to the fuel due to modern petrol being unleaded.
Any kind of petrol will be fine.
The straps under the chassis that requires some repair are like those used on later Gordon England chassis.
Adrian. Thank you. I've sent you a PM.
Chris