The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half shaft adjuster removal help
Hi all -

I'm in the process of restoring a rear axle and I'm having problems with one of the splined half-shaft adjusters which seems well and truly stuck in the axle-casing (apologies if my terminology is incorrect).

The axle casing/differential housing has sat without oil for a good long time - the adjuster on the other side still had some nasty oily black stuff around it and this was enough for it to unscrew easily. 

I've tried lots of oil in there, tried some heat but nothing so far has got it shifting. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try - or am I the first person in Austin 7 history to be in this position? Axle casing is standard D type and the stuck adjuster is in the larger side that houses the differential.

As ever all help/suggestions is really appreciated.

DT
I think it will move with suitable leverage. I would use a large screwdriver and twist it carefully, possibly with an adjustable spanner on the blade if it won't twist without.
they are marked left and right so one side may be left hand thread. Are you twisting it the right way, it may be stuck at the end of travel?
Success!! Thanks guys - that gave me victory over the dark forces of corrosion!

I checked the other adjuster which was unmarked so assumed that they weren't the 'handed' type, dug out a serious screwdriver and got a long spanner on it for maximum torque and it just eased into motion - lots more oil in there and it came out really smoothly.

Once again thanks for taking the time to bring your knowledge to the forum and sharing it!
The L/H - R/H refers to the oil scroll machined in the centre bore of the adjusters, the threads are normal R/H. Terry.
thanks for that information Terry, proves I should go to the workshop and check before putting finger to keyboard.
(25-03-2024, 10:08 PM)squeak Wrote: thanks for that information Terry, proves I should go to the workshop and check before putting finger to keyboard.

You're not alone in thinking that Squeak... I seem to recall having the same belief and struggling for ages to get one moving then deciding to back it off a little... only to find it moved quite freely when turned the right way.