The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just another run out in Ruby.....
Paul, many thanks for the offer, we will be staying in Inverness for two nights, we have allowed three two night stop overs, the others are in Penrith and Penzance, to give the good lady a break and for me to attend to a little tinkering should it be required. So yes if it works out ok with you, we would love to meet up whilst we are in Inverness.

Dean, again many thanks for the offer. I had attached a list of spares we are carrying to my original post, it is much the same as we took on the Eurotour but with a few additions. My brother Pete is meeting up with us on our way up north and will be crossing the Humber Bridge together on our way up to his home near Driffield.
It would be nice to see some other A7’s along the way.
I will drop you a email with my contact details and we can discuss this further.

Cheers

Ruairidh I take it the chummy is not on the road now?
I have not seen or heard of it since - we drove through last in November but I struggled to locate the exact house...

You have a treat in store, if you have not been that way before. Look forward to hearing your progress reports and any photos you might take.
Good Luck!
Cornwall crowd are great and friendly! Scottish crowd are great and friendly! All austineers are great and helpful!
From experience take your time, take lots and lots of photos, write a journal and most important ENJOY yourself.
Austin 7s are great cars to explore this country and are more robust than people think.
Poppy ( a 1934 PD Tourer ) and myself have just been up to see my son and his fiancée in Edinburgh, Ruairidh and friends in Forrestburn and back home to Findon!
Its Poppy's 90th birthday today!
Regards
Gez
I think the secret is to let the car dictate the pace and not to try to force it to go faster than is necessary. Take your time, enjoy the views, eat some of the best fish & chips on the planet and don't forget to try a "pie supper", tattie scones and square sausage. Don't forget the Hingerlish- Weegiespeak dictionary.

If you haven't got one some of this might help:

https://tartanplaid.co/blog/guide-to-sco...-meanings/

Bon voyage.
Have you checked fuel stations along your route, Denis?

We found them to be very few and far between, last summer.
Ah the square sausage
That’s an interesting comment Ruairidh, I was worried about that myself early on but putting a search for fuel stations on google earth they “appeared” plentiful and so was not too concerned. We will be carrying a 5 litre can which we fill once we’ve crossed the Woolwich Ferry and will be kept in reserve and topped up if and when used. Our satnav also gives locations of fuel stations which worked well on the Eurotour, but with that in mind I will be a little more cautious, thank you for the warning.
When travelling in the States we drove on many miles of back roads and small towns and made a habit of filling up every time we dropped down to half full after once getting caught out and down to the point where we were almost driving on vapours, never again!
If I was travelling in North West Scotland in my seven I think I would feel happier if I had two 5litre cans of fuel with me, that's about 75 to 80 miles, sounds a lot but not when petrol stations can be fifty miles apart.  Souns like a great adventure, hope you are blessed with some decent weather.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shameless promotion of wing tanks...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nothing wrong in that Duncan, wouldn’t put one on Ruby.
Interestingly I have two early steel Shell petrol cans with the same brass caps, I took them to fill up at my local Shell garage and was stopped by the staff from using them, so went home and returned with another more modern Halfords flat steel petrol can and was again stopped form using it despite all three can being clearly marked “petrol”.
I later returned with a newly purchased modern plastic can job and was welcomed with open arms!!