The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babbit or White Metal Bearings
An idle question, in A7 circles I hear the term used for non-shell bearings to be white metalled?
However I understand that Babbit metal is better at holding an oil film in marginal lubrication situations.
Would originally the big ends be Babbit? Or maybe modern white metalling is actually Babbit, and it’s just a terminology thing!
Sorry if I’m splitting hairs - but years ago I worked for a company that made an outdated, even then, horizontal diesel engine that used Babbit bearings, a trial was done using copper backed white metal that didn’t go well?

Interested in replies!
It's the same thing Tim. Either way, John Kirkby is your man!
A bit from Wikipedia...

"The original Babbitt alloy was invented in 1839 by Isaac Babbitt in Taunton, Massachusetts, United States. He disclosed one of his alloy recipes but kept others as trade secrets. Other formulations were developed later. Like other terms whose eponymous origin is long since deemphasized (such as diesel engine or eustachian tube), the term babbitt metal is frequently styled in lowercase. It is preferred over the term "white metal", because the latter term may refer to various bearing alloys, lead- or tin-based alloys, or zinc die-casting metal."
One of the best books on bearings of this type is " The Hoyt Book on Lined Bearings "
It tells you all you need to know.
There are many white metal based alloys for lining bearings, some of the older ones now long gone due to containing cadnium and other toxic materials. I have always thought of Babbit and whitemetaling as the same thing but Babbit been a mostly American term. I still have a large box with several ingots in and always use a paint marker to ID them. Some are stamped so can be looked up. The Hoyt book as previously said is the place to go.
Only metaled one for an A7 following a poor big end from a supplier that was full of air bubbles. Most of the bearings I have metaled have been 4-10" so a bit big for an Austin.
1.Should a white metal bearing be peened before machining?
2. Should a diamond tool be used for machining white metal?