The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting on the inches
I have a comparatively modern house these days, after having houses between three and four hundred years old, and it has a garage adjoining the house.

You can’t get a modern car in it!
You might get it in, but you'll not be able to get out of it! Mind you these days most garages just end up as storage for junk, unless you make it into another room like my daughter has.
Thankfully it is perfect for pre war car restoration and maintenance…no household junk is allowed anywhere near the garage or the workshop!

I can get the Alfa Romeo Spider in the garage, but as you say, it needs all sorts of contortions a 70 year old bloke shouldn’t be attempting to get in or out of it…
I find some of the large SUVs amusing, I was followed in my Seven through our 1900 estate with it's traffic calming and many parked cars by a Rolls Royce Cullinan, an enormous SUV, the driver of which didn't appear to like me slowing for the numerous speed humps and took an alternative route to the A6. Unfortunately that route has the most parked cars causing much holdups to pass oncoming cars while I popped out on the A6 before turning right into another 1900 estate with narrow roads only to see the same RR catch me up. He he.
Telephoning our doctor results in having to listen to an over length recorded message and I find it is quicker to visit the surgery, I always go in the Seven because I know the surgery car park will be full of big cars and I can always find a space for the Seven.
4 seater? Spectating at Brighton one cold November for the arrival of the Veteran Cars, my wife and I were asked to transport home 2 burly Morgan-enthusiast friends in our 1931 A7 saloon. It took 12 hours to Birmingham. The battery could not cope with headlights for that long, the ignition began to falter so deserted stretches of road were driven without lights. I think our poor passenger's knees kept their ears warm...
On an estate near where I live the modern 3 -bed houses are so small and the cars outside are so large that it will soon make sense to live in the car and exchange the house for a car parking space with hook-ups for services.
(11-04-2024, 03:41 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I have a comparatively modern house these days, after having houses between three and four hundred years old, and it has a garage adjoining the house.

You can’t get a modern car in it!

Yesterday I drove past a house in Buxton that might have been built in the 1960s. Parked on the drive, facing the garage was a small hatchback which, even with the wing mirrors folded, would have been impossible to get inside.