The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just as an aside (not really anything A7 related)
As some of you know, Rekkers Castle is situated in the deep south of Macronland, in the Gard county, in the foothills of the Cevennes national Park. Not many people from Hingerland have heard of the Cevennes except a few lost souls who stumble on it by accident, like Robert Louis Stevenson who passed this way with a donkey a few years back. We did have to render emergency assistance one hot summer's day to a beardy bloke and his family who thought that driving about here in a convertible A7 in the height of summer was a good idea... but they were soon back on their feet after a cool off in the shade, a few beers and some moules-frites at our local "guingette".

Whilst most of the time life down here can be pretty good, but when we get weather, it is usually extreme. We had an "Episode Cevenole" over the weekend, very heavy rain and storms which dumped over 6" or rain and hailstorms on the county. As a result at least 7 people are dead or missing, washed away attempting to drive across flooded rivers or just by misadventure. I mean what kind of an idiot goes kite surfing in a Force 9 gale? Answer, a dead one. They're still looking for him and several others that got washed away thinking their cars were submarines. Sadly, that includes two children.  It's a fact of life but there's no cure for stupidity.

Fortunately we're OK here. We live up a hill at 265 metres above mean sea level so if there is any flooding we're not affected. We did get some wind, though. At one stage I thought the roof was going to come off but today a good check round and all is well, apart from a recently planted Italian cypress tree which I've had to reset. It will get over it. The RP is nice and snug in the garage along with its cousins. I was worried that the persistent rain would get under the garage doors but my latest mod (a small ramp in concrete just inside the doors ) seems to have done the trick and kept the weather out. I've had both doors open this morning just to give everything an airing but the bad weather has gone and you'd never realise what it had been like just a few hours ago.

Morning coffee on the terrace with the Mem'Sahib. Cushty. Mange tout, Rodney. Happy Sevening everyone.
I know what you mean about garage doors. As part of our renovations we had a new garage and first winter the door took the full force of some harsh northerly storms. One morning we woke to find about an inch of water and lots of soggy wood and plaster sheet. I found some rubber barrier at £200+ and then found the equivalent for £40 something for a double garage. it has stood up well to its second winter storms with not a drop let past. Don't think it was this exact one but close enough to get the idea:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274037161439?...BM0KDN1MVj
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
That's the same profile I have created out of waterproof concrete. It's very effective.

[Image: 20211107-134410.jpg]
Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I have been branching out. Still having problems logging on but I'll give it a bit more stick. Over.

Just had some firewood delivered. Anyone passing that can give me a hand?

[Image: 20240408-132550.jpg]

Holm oak logs, 50cm. Ten and a half cubic metres.
Glad to hear you weathered the storm Reckless. Your comments about people who fail to understand the forces of nature resonate with me. I have a sister who lived in the Bavarian Alps until recently; she worked for a very kind man who was killed attempting to rescue a couple of climbers who got into trouble (he was a very experienced climber & on the local mountain rescue team). And I came fairly close to losing another sister who pulled a woman out of the sea in South Devon.

I had a bit of wind too, but that's another story...
(10-04-2024, 10:11 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I have been branching out. Still having problems logging on but I'll give it a bit more stick. Over.

you may need to branch out a bit
(10-04-2024, 01:52 PM)jpsmit Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 10:11 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I have been branching out. Still having problems logging on but I'll give it a bit more stick. Over.

you may need to branch out a bit

*-No difficulty logging on, then Big Grin

Well, wooden you know!
Cheers, Geoffrey
[Image: 20240412-140552.jpg]

Guess I was barking up the wrong tree expecting some help.... nearly done now. I'm more tired than three PCSOs.