The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting hesitancy 1930 Chummy
(09-03-2024, 08:20 AM)Colin Cooke Wrote: How would you flood a 26VA carb, with no fuel pump? I can only think of loosening the float bowl.

Is it a bad choice of carb, to use without a mechanical pump? I know Howard says that it will work; but is it ideal?

Hi Colin,

Agreed, I only know it will work as this is the set up that came with my van (subsequently changed). 

Maybe Peter has an electric fuel pump fitted?

Cheers

Howard
I have found with my own car an RP with a26VA carb, that it is imperative that the choke closes fully for reliable starting. My own cold star technique is to prime the carb with the pump priming lever, set the ignition to half advance, full choke and pull the starter knob. Starts instantly first time!
Here are the pictures asked for by Ruairidh. Additionally I have 2 spare bowls which I now see are different. Is the correct one fitted? Item 22 seems to be fitted correctly. I’m now leaning toward ineffective choke.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is there any evidence that fitting a suitable say 1” SU carburettor helps cold start ?
You have the incorrect (later bowl fitted).

I will find a photo of the correct bowl that you need and post it up.
Also:

- in the top photo, your choke is not fully closed.

- you appear to have a later crankcase in the car, this will allow you to fit a mechanical fuel pump, which I recommend you do.
You require a bowl like this…

Ruairidh is spot on, the choke is not opening fully due to the strangler lever fouling the cowl distance piece. Said lever is moving laterally. Strip and find out how to contain it in the correct plane to fit into the groove rather than against the body. I do like it when a reason for a problem is properly identified.
Hi Ruairidh - Please could you explain the different bowls - two stripes, one long/one short and no stripes across the bottom? When are they right and/or wrong?!
Peter: do also take note of Ruairidh's note regarding bowl type. I did and it massively improved running to have the right bowl with the right top.
Andy

This was an earlier thread with more info from R regarding bowl types, basically 2 lugs on top goes with 2 lugs on the bowl, one lug goes with a domed bowl:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...4#pid27324

Although mechanically interchangeable and not obvious unless the carb is off the difference in performance for me was significant.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!