The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
door check straps
I'm finally getting round to doing a proper job on the door check straps on the Box today. It's 40 years since the remains of the originals were removed (gulp!) I've found this bracket on the drivers side, but not one on the passenger side. I can't remember whether these are supposed to be there, it looks a little agriculteral but would appear to keep the strap from chaffing against the A post. Anyone have anything similar?

Nothing like that on my RP. The current ones were made by a local saddlery about 15 years ago, but copied from what was there since time mint imperial.

[Image: 20240307-125947-1498.jpg]

[Image: 20240307-130117-Copie.jpg]
The door check straps on my RL saloon are different, the strap has a steel plate secured by two wood screws into the door frame, with a rolled edge.  The plate measures 2 1/4" x 7/8" and is 16G thick.  I am pretty certain that they are original fittings.  They work very well having been in use on my car for 25 years with no problems.  The heavy duty leather straps are not original!        
The other end of the strap is fixed to a bracket on the door 'A' post located where the two shiny screw heads are above the bottom hinge.
Thanks both...

The original form of strap (for the RP, anyway) was a piece of the upholstery leather doubled over and stitched, like this..

(image from the Rinsey Mills book)

It also has a heavy-ish canvas 'core'  that prevents the leather from stretching

I recall mine being exactly like this but cannot find them in the bag of left over bts of upholstery, sadly. I have had them re-made.

I cant speak for earlier cars but on the RP, they double back on themselves where screwed to the door, as in Malcolms photo, then connect to the metal plate that can be seen below the ventilator in Recker's photo. On my car, at the moment, those plates are not connected to anything near the door opening and are left free to 'spring' Looking at Recker's photo makes me wonder whether they should be affixed to the rear of the A post perhaps with the door check strap being pinched between the plate and the A post... The Rinsey Mills photo seems to show this and this thies up with Malcolm's RL..

Further observations welcome!!

Now I am at a loss. Yes, it does appear the check strap is screwed to the metal plate I referered to earlier (below the ventilator) but I'm not sure how it is all held together. Closer examination of the Rinsey Mills photo shows the profile of the A post which matches mine...

I really need to see an original, un-mucked about car if possible....
After pestering the good folks of the Forum regarding the minutiae of RP  door check straps, I have finally answered my own question. The attached photo from the rear of the A post clearly shows 2 holes that will permit screws to be passed through from the 'front' of the A post, through the check strap which is inserted between the A post and the metal bracket.. All I have to do now is find where these are on the A post and drill them out...

Phew, that has made the job a lot easier...

I did post a reply earlier saying that a closer look at my car reveals the remains of what I presume is the original check strap pinched between the 'A' post and the metal bracket below the ventilator. For some reason the post has disappeared. I take it therefore that my check straps are a contemporary modification which I have inadvertently repeated through ignorance. I'm sure however, that I'll get over it. Good Luck with the mods Hugh.
Thanks Reckers, that confirms my conclusions after further study. Again, this is not me being a stickler for originality, just that it was presumably designed that way for a reason. But I wouldn;t worry about the way you have your car, Reckers, I'm sure the judges at Pebble Beach will overlook it...

:^)

Thanks everyone....
It actually now makes sense - the metal strap across the bottom of the ventilator provides the resistance for the check strap. Elsewhere the A pillar is just a right angle so not as strong to resist a hefty pull from the door. However, mine has been like this since the 1980s and I see no reason for me to change it. I'm always careful about opening the doors and never let them open right to the limit of the check straps as there's a likelyhood of the door connecting with the front wing in extremis.

I think the Pebble Beach rivet counters would probably need counselling after looking at my car! Smile
And perhaps to fnish the thread (though more banter always welcome) It would appear the metal plates at the door end, as seen on Malcolm's car, are also correct, as confirmed by a message from another owner I have received this morning. I was planning just to use screws and cup washers, but may reconsider that now as I can see the benefits of the plate approach...

PS. Anyone have one (or two) of those plates kicking around they could spare. I suspect that if they do, they will now be muttering 'I always wondered what those were...'
Malcolm - thank you for the measurements you provided for the plates on the door end of the check straps. Presumably the 2 1/4 x 7/8" does not include the rolled back portion? I'm just about to set too in attempting to make some. I can see the sense in them...

thanks..