The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seagreen air-cooled sump
I have had an air-cooled sump sat on my shelf for about 30 years, I bought it at Wollaton autojumble from a trader who was adamant that it was off a marine engine.   I now understand that it was made by Seagreen who were based in Newcastle IIRC.  They also made those brake adjusters that bent the cable but their product was of better quality with small pulleys for the cable to run around.   Surprisingly, for such a quality casting, it bears neither a makers name nor any identification.        
Until today I have never attempted to take the base plate which holds the internal filter off the aluminium sump.  I assumed that the nuts would be rusted solid and the studs would break or pull out.   Then I would have the problem of separating the filter, etc.
A quick squirt of WD40 and the six retaining nuts all came off as clean as a whistle without any undue effort.  So far so good!  Next, a light tap loosened the base plate and filter which came off, the thin cork gasket looking as good as new.    
I am going to use the sump on an engine so the next stage is to fabricate a tray which sits in the crankcase where the normal filter gauze would be.  The tray is to direct the oil into the filter tube.    I understand that Ulsters had a similar system.   The advantage is that you can remove the filter tube and clean it without having to remove the sump.            
I know a very clever man in Boroughbridge who I am sure could make the tray but before going any further I wondered if anyone has a photo of the Ulster set-up?  Was it made in steel or copper?  I don't suppose it matters a great deal as it will be covered in oil.
No photo I’m afraid but the only one I ever saw was brass. I believe Austin 10s use a similar system.

Regards,

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart.  I too had a hunch that Austin 10's had a similar system.
Austin Twelves too...