The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longbridge
Some will know that after the break up of the Longbridge site, Lord Austin's office was moved to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon. I now understand that it is on the verge of completion and should be opened to view very soon. The same was done for William Morris's office some time back.

There is also a tentative move to have a life sized statue of Lord Austin produced and installed somewhere on the Longbridge site and where it can easily be seen by the public.  Longbridge was for many years known as  ' The Austin ' by the people of Birmingham but in the last thirty years or so it has become known as  ' Austin Rover. ' and with Lord Austin's contribution to the British and European motor industry increasingly being forgotten. Another part of British motoring heritage which needs to be addressed.
I'm looking forward to seeing the office.

My neighbouring bronze foundry is owned and run by a Seven owner, so if those that are wanting to commission a statue would like a supplier with Austin sympathies I can recommend them. Black Isle Bronze are just outside Inverness but work for clients all over the world.
Thanks Peter. I'll pass this information on.
Yesterday evening David Cochrane and myself, as current and past chairmen respectively of the the A7CA, attended the opening of Lord Austin's Office at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon.
Around a hundred people were present, many ex Austin apprentices, members of the Press and other interested parties. The Museum have done an excellent job of the Office which is located next to William Morris's one. What these two would have said about this would be interesting! The displays are interactive and coupled with a small static display of their artifacts.  Fittingly, facing the Office was a nice original 1923 Chummy.

For those of you who have never been, I urge you to go. It is a most interesting and friendly museum with the widest possible range of British vehicles, from Austin's first car he built whilst at Wolseley's, right through to a current Mclaren supercar. The Austin Seven, rightly so, has a dedicated area. Unlike many museums, Gaydon is different, as you can walk amongst and around the exhibits...provided you don't touch!