The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
insurance
Is it me or do insurance companies try to wind us all up?

I renewed my insurance for two Austins with Hagarty, renewal seemed easiest and it had only gone up about 10% since last year.

Today the documents arrived by email and it was made clear that I should study them. Eleven attachments to download!

One condition didn't seem to make much sense... "The vehicle must not be available for the regular use by you or a named insured person." What??? How do I prevent my Austin seven being available for me to use?

Another limitation reads... " All drivers of the vehicles insured by this policy will also own regular use vehicles that are used for normal, everyday driving to and from work or school and general transportation."   I know I'm being pedantic, but strictly that means I must drive to work or school on a regular basis. Haven't they heard of retirement? Or using a bike to go to work? 
And it clearly says I must own a regular use vehicle, not just have my wife's car available. At the moment we have a modern car each, but I was thinking of giving up my modern. More and more we use electric bikes, and/or our free bus passes.

The world has gone mad.
It is quite common to require that you have use of an “every day” modern car alongside your “classic”, these days.
Just been through this.
Hagerty were by far the best value for me but all the companies who gave me quotes wanted to know the make and model of my everyday car. A Ruairidh says, that's normal.
If you go down to one car make sure it's insured in your name
Is there anybody left who owns only a Seven? if so it seems as though their position is somewhat precarious. 

I wonder if this problem has been exacerbated by the small number of people who are allegedly using classics to avoid ULEZ restrictions.
(05-03-2024, 08:39 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: It is quite common to require that you have use of an “every day” modern car alongside your “classic”, these days.

I have no problem with the requirement to have an 'every day' modern, it makes sense. 

But this insurer seems to be rather thoughtless in the wording. They say that each driver of the insured 'classic' must own a modern car that is used for every day use. I'm happy to have a modern car available for the two of us to share, but they insist we must each own a modern car. And we must use them!     Possibly they don't mean that. But that's what it says.

I appreciate that I am perhaps unusual in that I read all of the eleven email attachments, thus noticing this rather strange requirement.
(05-03-2024, 10:37 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Is there anybody left who owns only a Seven? if so it seems as though their position is somewhat precarious. 

I wonder if this problem has been exacerbated by the small number of people who are allegedly using classics to avoid ULEZ restrictions.

There are still a couple, Peter.

I am not sure how they accomplish insurance, unless it is a normal policy?
Andrew: why not try RH if you are worried about how Hagarty might interpret wording in the event of a claim, never had as problem with the 2 occasions I have had to call them to a breakdown. I have never been quizzed on whether or not the 7 was my every day car or not. They always seem to take a pragmatic and realistic view from my experience and from what i have heard from others.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
What/when do Hagerty etc say you CAN use your Seven"-- A pop to the shop to buy a paper? --- Drive to church on a Sunday?-- a short trip out ot he country
for a picnic? OR-- an "Official" club run ? --- Attendance at an organised Static Vintage event?--- Maybe eveb=n a "JOGLE"?

Heaven forbid we ever get to the "Organised Convoy parade" with police outrider attendance and following breakdown truck ! I think this may happen elsewhere
in our sad old world BUT who knows??
One of the reasons that I don't insure my cars with Hagarty is because when I read the small print I was not sure that any of my journeys in the cars would be properly covered.

This may not be the case for everyone, but it was not suitable for me.
It maybe my suspicious mind but once you have insured your classic with them and agreed you have a modern for “General use”. Do you get unsolicited mail and emails touting for trade wanting to insure your modern with them.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.