The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DVLA Taxation class "Not Licensed"
One fly in the ointment with the "new" Chummy (see thread "Here we go again!"), is that it is noted on the V5 as being in taxation class "Not Licensed". Last time I had this problem, with my previous Chummy, I went to the Bristol LVLO, long since closed, to tax the car and get it into "Historic Vehicle" tax class. This was a horrifying experience and involved taking some kind of test to see if the car could keep it's registration or whether it should be issued with a fake DVLA number or "Q" plate!

Has anyone had to do this since everything was centralised in Swansea? I assume I will need to send up the V5 with the taxation class change box filled in plus a V10 to apply for tax plus a V112 MoT exemption certificate but I'm guessing here!

Can anyone shed some light?
(02-03-2024, 03:05 PM)Parazine Wrote: One fly in the ointment with the "new" Chummy (see thread "Here we go again!"), is that it is noted on the V5 as being in taxation class "Not Licensed". Last time I had this problem, with my previous Chummy, I went to the Bristol LVLO, long since closed, to tax the car and get it into "Historic Vehicle" tax class. This was a horrifying experience and involved taking some kind of test to see if the car could keep it's registration or whether it should be issued with a fake DVLA number or "Q" plate!

Has anyone had to do this since everything was centralised in Swansea? I assume I will need to send up the V5 with the taxation class change box filled in plus a V10 to apply for tax plus a V112 MoT exemption certificate but I'm guessing here!

Can anyone shed some light?

Yes, I did this recently with my 1930 Fiat.
Took the V5C, insurance and form V112 to a local, small, one person village post office that according to the Post Office website did vehicle licensing. He took the V5, wrote in the change from “Not licenced” to “Historic” and sent the form to DVLA. He also gave me a receipt saying that the car was now fully taxed. 
The new V5C arrived about a week later.

I think the key things are to choose a small post office (where the proprietor knows what they’re doing) and to go straight from “Not Licenced” to “Taxed”. I suspect it would be a load of pain to to try to go from “Not Licensed” to “SORN”.
I had a similar andparallel problem when I first got my RP saloon in October 2018. The V5 that came with the car was an old issue type, so I sent it off, expecting a new registration document to be issued. A few days later, I received a letter from DVLA saying that the document I had sent was not acceptable and that they required me to fill in a V60 together with a cheque for £25.

I dutifully complied, send a fairly sharp letter of protest, pointing out that the document I had sent originally was a document that they themselves had supplied. About ten days later the new V5 arrived, however the taxation class was shown as ‘Private and Light Goods’. After some research and a phone call to DVLA (yes they do answer the phone after an interminable wait) I took my new logbook to our local post office who simply altered the taxation class to ‘Historic Vehicle’ and sent it off. Two new V5s arrived showing the correct taxation class arrived about 10 days afterwards, a few days apart. My cheque for £25 was never cashed.