The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Narrow Strips of Metal
Vaguely Austin Seven related:

I wish to use my set of bench shears to cut strips of metal approximately 4mm wide. They need to be parallel and of consistent size.

The strip is narrower than the thickness of the blade, making it difficult to use a conventional fence or stop as the blade would hit the stop.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to set up an adjustable stop so that I cut the strips consistently and without having to measure each one?

Thank you.

Jamie
not sure how many you need but a quick google indicates that you can buy rolls of metal strapping for not a lot of money. Might save you a lot of setup and agravation.
Fine blade in a angle grinder has worked successfully for me.
Thank you for the suggestions. I shall look at strapping to see whether the dimensions are suitable. I need something about 3-4mm wide and 1mm thick. I am not sure that I have a steady enough hand to cut these with an angle grinder, but I could give it a go.

I have also been given some idea on sorting out a stop for the shears.

Jamie.
Using a cutting disc in a grinder will likely give you curved strips because of the heat. Could you clamp a temporary stop on the back edge of the material (i.e. the opposite edge to the blade) adding an extra 4mm packer after each cut?
Jamie,

Have you thought of looking at Model Engineering Suppliers websites as it could be something they might use - I'm thinking 5 inch gauge model steam locomotives and the like. Along similar lines, you may have a Model Engineers club nearby who will probably have the necessary equipment to cut 4mm wide strips.

Jeff.
Following up on Jeff's suggestion, I looked at the O gauge guild web site for ideas. That led me to these people:

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/metals-materials.htm

Might not be exactly what you want but I think the general area of research may bear fruit...
I’d volunteer my guillotine. But, at only 4mm wide I can guarantee each one would have a wind(or twist) of probably 45 degrees over the length as it came off the machine …
The only way for numerous pieces is off a coil
Photo 
I recent bought one of these having seen some one on youtube using them and must say, perfect for little accurate cuts... Sure the metal starts to roll but its very easy to keep it straight, might just help..

.jpg   cutters.jpg (Size: 48.54 KB / Downloads: 265)

In my opinion better than guillotine, electric nibbler and hand snips.. 

cheers Matthew
Any half decent metal supply shop could guillotine a dozen or 2 dozen 4mm wide strips from a 1mm plate.

Mine has a few huge guillotines as well as a few smaller ones, they recently cut some bits and pieces for me from a piece I brought to them (which I had bought from them before).

Might cost a few Quid, but generally cheaper & faster than anything else

Aye
Greig