The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue a Ruby
BFJ 143 was scrupulously restored by the sadly missed Ian Bennett. Since then it has never exceeded the 4,000 miles pa, and has been noted as a class winner in AutoSolo and nav rally events. A modest appearance has  occasionally been made on the forum. Always properly maintained and serviced, two brand new and two recent Longstones for instance.

It was recently hit and pushed sideways by a xxx xxxing xxx, and has some body damage to the o/s front wing. More significant is a broken front spring, and wheels that point in a very unusual manner. There is a full description and 22 photos pre accident showing the vg interior condition on Brightwell’s web site, lot 22 on their Classic auction of 6th December 2023. Insurers consider it a write off. Before watching it depart I would be very happy to pay the salvage of £1500 if there is a Seven person who wants to take on a front suspension job. Yes, twenty years ago I would have considered this to be two days work, a more athletic and arthritis free youngster with workshop space will feel the same. Comes exactly as currently running, no good bits taken off. Spares include  crankcases, dizzies  etc and as well as an axle, Bowden brake cables. It does need to be collected. 

So for £1500, and a little work,  get a Ruby, boxes of bits and have a machine ready for when the gritting stops and the Pytchley roof can be slid open for the springtime sun. (There will be a discount of £5 for every additional cylinder head taken by the purchaser)

PM, or email stevekaytwo@btinternet.com
Has the car actually been written off by the insurers?
Their engineer considered that the front end was beyond the cost of repair.
So its a cost rather than a structural write off so can be repaired and back on the road. This happened to my 2CV special.
Peter you are quite right. Either I accept the agreed value, hand over the documents and away it goes, or pay up for the salvage. I had rather hoped that there would be some enthusiasm for the chance of putting a new axle/spring etc onto what immediately becomes a well running fully trimmed Ruby......

2CV front wings are a different matter. I have two very battered sacrificial front wings that get bolted on to go trialing. Intimate encounters with landscape or hedgerows is not important.
Hi Steve.

I agree... it can't go to the insurance company for dismantling...

If no-one else steps in, let me know. I don't need another project and you're the other side of the country,  but if all else fails, I'll do my best to rescue it. Even if i risk 'er indoors not talking to me for a while!
Might we be able to see a photo or two, Steve?
If I had 1500 quid to spare I would take it on in a trice!

The snaps of the vacuumed and polished interior and Autoglymed  exterior, under bonnet showing dual batteries etc are on Brightwells web site, Classic auction 6th December lot 22. These post accident photos show somewhat distorted front bumper, bashed o/s front wing, and a spring that has suffered from sideways  impact and movement. The front wheels point in unusual directions. 

Sorry, can't get the photos be the correct way up. That is not a picture of a trialling Ruby that has rolled upside down into a ditch. .
This is certainly not beyond economical repair.