The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Nickel Plating
Does anyone have a home nickel plating kit as i need a small quantity of small screws plated and i know plating companies usually have minimum order.
Thanks JW
I have an unused kit that I would sell if interested I can forward the specification
Thanks for the kit offer but I have found that i have enough parts to meet the platers min charge criteria.
Cheers
JW
Interesting topic, 
When I was young... So very long time ago.... I tried plating: silver, nickel, copper. It didn't work. Therfore I would be very interested in your methods and successes. 
Could you please publish your platting your procedures and results. 
Kind regards 
Frank
(03-02-2024, 06:56 PM)Frank Stoll Wrote: Interesting topic, 
When I was young... So very long time ago.... I tried plating: silver, nickel, copper. It didn't work. Therfore I would be very interested in your methods and successes. 
Could you please publish your platting your procedures and results. 
Kind regards 
Frank

I was given a “TechNick” nickel plating kit many moons ago for a birthday and finally tried it when I made a radiator stoneguard. 
I read the instructions and the “Workshop Practice” book on plating, followed the instructions carefully, especially around cleaning and current density. I also bought some “brightener” for a few quid because I wanted a more chrome like finish to match the rad shell. 
Worked well, as the picture shows 

Very nice result and certainly a motivation for me to start another attempt. Already checked some online offers for plating kits. Any useful and reliable sources on how to do it correctly (all the typical mistakes included?)
Kind regards
Frank
I bought a kit from Gateros recently. It works very well and comes with comprehensive instructions. There was one detail I wasn't sure about so phoned for advice - they were very helpful and knowledgeable which in itself is unusual for suppliers these days. Quiet reasonably priced compared to one or two others though it does take a bit of thought as to what one needs for each process as the website isn't the clearest.
(07-02-2024, 10:47 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: I bought a kit from Gateros recently. It works very well and comes with comprehensive instructions. There was one detail I wasn't sure about so phoned for advice - they were very helpful and knowledgeable which in itself is unusual for suppliers these days. Quiet reasonably priced compared to one or two others though it does take a bit of thought as to what one needs for each process as the website isn't the clearest.

Also you need to think the process and your layout of dips, washes and so on very carefully, as well as how to keep some of the chemicals at an appropriate temperature.  
This became quite a challenge with something large like the stoneguard

c
You might find this old thread of interest:
https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...g#pid76115