The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Alternative engines in an Austin Seven
(22-01-2024, 09:09 PM)john williams Wrote: I remember seeing, but cannot remember where, a clip of an Austin 7  bare running chassis, drivers seat ,being driven on a sort of trials Event. The Austin was powered by a Hillman Imp engine coupled to standard A7 transmission and wheels. I have often wondered why the Imp engine was not more widely used.

Why the Imp engine is not used?.....  well they had a really bad name for head gasket reliability, and they were a long time ago. And there was no easy gearbox to use.
For those tempted to go in this direction and stray beyond polishing your ports, look where it might all end?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285658127020
This is quite a time appropriate thread.

I have accidentally just acquired a flathead Ford V8 engine from 1936 - its UK built, so is the smaller 2.2 litre displacement (and its actually quite a compact thing).

In an idle moment I was thinking whether it would, or could be made, to fit an Austin 7 chassis. Does anyone know of this being done before?
So, what about gearboxes, and brakes? Were the different engines mated to the original (rather short) seven gearboxes? Or, for example, was the A-series engine using an A-series (rather long) gearbox? And if so did that mean doing away with the brake cross-shaft?
I have seen a few of the ford sidevalve engines described that look to have been coupled to a standard A7 gearbox via a second short propshaft infront... not sure where the box was mounted.