The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Alternative engines in an Austin Seven
The latest updated list of engines fitted and not needing too much in the way of serious modifications...
So I have taken the V8s out.

Riley 9
Jap
Reliant 750 S/V based on A7
Reliant 850 OHV based on Standard Triumph
3 cylinder 2-stroke
Kubota
A-Series 948
A-Series 1098
A-Series 1275
Lister
Ford model A
Ford 4 cylinder S/V
Rosengart
Honda V-Twin
Rudge
Suzuki G10
Coventry Climax
Electric
There was a line of Austins parked at Moreton and the general hubub was pierced by a LOUD Pop Pop Bang Bang! Looking to my left arose a large ball of blue smoke, what is that? A joyous scruffy special emerged and with a Bang Bang and hair flying whizzed off into the crowd.
What was that? Sounded like a 1 or 2 cylinder.
It was VAT 69, first a 1930 Cleone engine then an ABC Scorpion from 1921?
Nobody has mentioned the smaller vintage MG engines M type, PA/PB. Probably because they are rare and expensive (and heavy)
Have they been used in A7s, Dave?

I know of an MG with a Ford engine it it, just near us, here.
The swap of an OHC MG for a later Ford (10?) unit was quite a common thing in the 50s and 60s as the OHC units proved difficult to maintain for the impecunious working in a pre-fabricated asbestos garage with only a hammer and adjustable spanner...
R, not that I know of but I helped a friend rebuild his MG PA engine. It’s pretty heavy for its standard output of 35bhp but they are sometimes supercharged. I thought that in times past it would have been an option although I think that the relatively complex overhead cam drive via the dynamo getting oiled up caused many to be replaced by a sidevalve Ford 8 or 10.
I know nothing of them, just that they look nice, when overtaking me!
(18-01-2024, 09:38 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Any guesses as to what might be under this bonnet?

3.4 Jaguar
MG engines in A7 chassis. The two I am aware of were Ken Wharton’s very successful hill climb car circa 1948 and young Colin Vandervell’s Cambridge Special of the J2 variety. I believe both were o h c engines.

Regards
Stuart