The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at Chummys
Hi chaps, 

I've been thinking about Chummy's for some time and thinking of biting the bullet, its there anything specific I should look for when buying one ?

Floor pan rust would be a first place I guess.... then all the usual Austin areas...

I'm guessing there isnt a specific chassis number range as they where produced over the years ... 

many thanks Matt
Matt. If your definition of a Chummy is a 4-seater tourer, then they were produced from the start in 1922 right through to mid 1934, which would then be in the region of C 200000.
Yes the open top 4 seater tourer Chris....
Hi Matt

All the usual areas but…I would check the bonnet shut lines carefully. Wide gaps at the lower rear of the bonnet side panels may suggest a bent chassis.  This is a big repair job as you need to completely disassemble the car.  Also, as you say, the floor pan which you may be able to weld but again a full replacement is a daunting task!

Cheers

Howard
(15-01-2024, 11:33 AM)goodwoodweirdo Wrote: Hi chaps, 

I've been thinking about Chummy's for some time and thinking of biting the bullet, its there anything specific I should look for when buying one ?

Floor pan rust would be a first place I guess.... then all the usual Austin areas...

I'm guessing there isnt a specific chassis number range as they where produced over the years ... 

many thanks Matt

Corrosion under the doors between the steel floor pan and aluminium body skin, ash frame issues, knackered door frames and door hinge screws that don't tighten, cracks in the body skin coming from the bottom rear corner of the bonnet, lack of chassis extensions on the early cars, rear body skin flange at the bottom where it rivets to the floor pan, floor pan cracks, worn halfshaft keys etc etc

But just get on and buy one, before you get to old to fit in it.....  Tongue Tongue You know you won't regret it

edited to add: Spare wheel mounting area cracks and corrosion
If you're fussy about originality you'll need to know about drive line and engine numbers, what changed and when, and what was and what wasn't original equipment. I have books that you're welcome to borrow.
It doesn't bother me too much, and I love my Chummy, that I bought a year ago, but in my ignorance there is lots that's not OE with it.
Even if like me you're not over fussy about originality, knowing whats not right is a good bargaining tool.
Good luck, keep us posted
(15-01-2024, 11:54 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Matt. If your definition of a Chummy is a 4-seater tourer, then they were produced from the start in 1922 right through to mid 1934, which would then be in the region of C 200000.

Personally, I think that useable cars start at the end of 1926, with 7" brakes. Even these early ones have some oddities, like the belt drive speedo. 1922 - late 1926 cars look nice but if in standard shape, can cause problems with taper bearings, 6" brakes, weak chassis with no extensions etc.
1926 - mid '28 cars originally had mag engines - down here, I was considered to be slightly mad in the eighties when I started using a '28 chummy with a mag engine, everyone else in the club with a chummy had converted their cars to coil ignition years before. Today, most black rad Chummies are running mag engines once again.

Mid '28 to 1931 (late AD, AE, AF) types are good, handle properly and can be quite quick with their coil engines. 
LWB cars (AH, 32 - 34) are also very useable although it's a stretch calling them a "Chummy", they're usually known as a 4-seat tourer. We ran one of these when the children got fed up with being in the back of a chummy and kept kicking the front seats!
Now the kids have left home, I'm back in a 1927, mag engine chummy, which I rebuilt ten years ago.  I love it to bits because it's comfortable, quick and handles well. Go on, you need one!
I agree with Parazine, who summed it up very well.
I reckon that one built from around mid-1928 to late 1929 has the right balance of useability, a cute vintage appearance with, among other desirable features, narrow 'blade' wings, a coil engine, 7-inch brakes, the larger R47 headlamps, and a slightly stronger chassis and body. From late '29 onwards interior space and body strength improved slightly - though to me the overall appearance did become a little lumpen. From mid-1930, and the introduction of the AF, appearance-wise things changed rather more dramatically: a tall, chrome-plated radiator, a short scuttle, and a long bonnet - though the coupled braking system was a welcome improvement. This version - and the following steel-bodied AG, ignoring those from late 1931 onwards - are the most prosaic of the "Chummy" breed but, don't worry, I'm not dismissing them, I have one - and love it. 
Try to buy one that's in the hands of a sympathetic owner who has kept it in good, clean condition, can talk knowledgeably about its history, and has kept a logbook of repairs and maintenance. Unless you have deep pockets and/or endless time and the necessary skills to undertake a rebuild, don't buy one with a similar appearance to this:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That one's a bit of a shed!