The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knob...
Might anyone have a serviceable gear lever knob going spare? I find myself in need of one.. The only one I have is rather large and, although it screws on, feels very odd, rather like a tennis ball...

thanks in advance for any offers..

Hugh
Hugh, I think they came in different sizes. The majority(? Ruby etc.) are about 1 1/2" diameter, I have one of those if you want it. I've seen smaller ones though - not sure which you are after.
I'll have to check tomorrow, but anything smaller than the only one I have would probably do.. The 1 1/2" is probably the one I seek. I'll give you a shout tomorrow...

Ta...
Hi Hugh

I bought an aluminium 30mm ball threaded M8 off eBay for my special.  It matched the size of the original knob on my RK.  I’ve also bought smaller black plastic machine handle balls for my home made mill.  The only problem could be the metric thread but aluminium or plastic are easy to drill and tap.

Cheers

Howard
You may find that this firm has what you need - the holes are plain, so can be tapped as required. Whitworth threads in balls seem to be no longer available: https://www.bpfonline.co.uk/search.asp?catid=10720
Thank you both, Howard and Tony. Very useful pointers, particularly Tony’s suggestion which sells female ball knobs. A first for me…
The Seven Workshop lists the knob for the three speed gearbox
https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...ob-3-speed

And David Cochrane lists both. It seems to suggest the the four speed is bigger than the three speed
Yes, the 4-speed one is bigger (1½" dia) than the 3-speed one (1¼" dia).
My apologies to our cherished suppliers, I never thought that new ones would be available..
Good lead Tony. I just received a 45mm Duroplast job with a M12 brass insert, which will allow for a 5/16 Whitworth plug that I'll make up. Seems very nice quality for £6.70 delivered.