The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Location
I am about to embark on cataloguing a newly acquired collection of photos, though it in all honesty will take some time before they can be published on the web site (though I think it will be worth the wait).

In the meantime, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the location of this photo please?

tia...

The Guildhall, Cirencester?

.jpg   Screenshot 2024-01-08 203958.jpg (Size: 195.67 KB / Downloads: 358)
Good luck with the archiving.

Hazarding a guess, it reminds me of the York Minster Cathedral.
Could the reg on the car to the right of frame (YW2531) be an identifier [assuming cars didn't travel too far from their place of registration at the time]
(08-01-2024, 09:42 PM)worthidlj Wrote: Good luck with the archiving.

Hazarding a guess, it reminds me of the York Minster Cathedral.
Could the reg on the car to the right of frame (YW2531) be an identifier [assuming cars didn't travel too far from their place of registration at the time]

I can tell you're not convinced...
Definitely Cirencester Parish Church, my home town, I will endeavor to recreate the photo at some point..
Street view 2016, warts and all...

Sorry Chris, I started typing my message before I saw your response; you are certainly correct Smile
Smile  I was only kidding!
Speaking as one born, bred and baptised in Cirencester parish Church I can confirmf the location! I would date the photo as being about 1938, 10 years before my arrival on the scene.
The most recent picture shows the ongoing desecration of the town centre that took place in the last decade when the historic market place was revamped into a more 'sexy' PLAZA, and many of the wonderful pubs suddenly had to become WINE BARS.
Angry Angry Angry Huh  
Haven't been back since the Centenary Rally in '22.
Ding, ding, ding, ding... And we have a winner. Bonus point to Chris-KC for the speedy identification with mention in dispatches to andrewa and Bob Kneale..

Thanks all, really helpful...