The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80Ah Batteries
We have used the Exide EU80-6 battery from Tayna batteries and they are excellent.
Our battery is showing signs of decline so I've been investigating replacements.
Tayna batteries are now quoting £150, which is £90 + shipping. That's a big increase.

The MG owners club offer an 80Ah battery for £79.95 + £29.95 which seems very good value.
The MGB uses two of these in series to give 12V.

https://www.mgocspares.co.uk
Jim
Not bought this particular make of 6v/80ah but have purchased from Alpha in recent times - excellent service.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/6v-421...r-battery/

£99.98 inc VAT and delivery
Thanks Nick, I didn't see that one in my searches.
I used to work in the next village to Swavesey where the MG Owners Club is. Would have been handy back then!
Jim
Jim, I don’t know about other suppliers but Tania batteries send their batteries out on a non returnable pallet with the battery full of battery acid. Before opting for the cheaper ones check to see if it includes the acid as this what is expensive to transport due to it being deemed dangerous.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Alpha do send their batteries pre-filled. Says so at the top of listing when you click the link.

The situation with Tayna is odd. Last year I wanted a large 120Ah Bosch cab battery for our Motorhome. Tayna were cheapest at around £95 but shipping was nearly as much again (being fair, it is a large, heavy battery). Alpha were £115 but that included shipping. In the end I bought from our local GSF at £105 and fetched it myself. I've bought from Tayna many times over the years, until recently always the best price even allowing for shipping. Now, however, the shipping costs price them way out of the equation and, unless it changes, I can't see I'll ever buy from them again. I can't be alone in that. Many on Motorhome Forums express the same view.

Steve
Hi

The last 6 volt rubber cased battery I bought from Tayna was dwarfed by the enormous pallet it was strapped to, I came home to find it had been craned onto the front lawn. I happen to find pallets useful, but not everyone would want to have to dispose of one. There was also a great deal of packaging including expanded polystyrene which had been sawn rather than hot-wire cut, producing little bits that got everywhere. None of this stopped a small amount of acid leaking into the inner packaging, so the whole battery had to be rinsed off and dried.

The market for MGB battery pairs seems fairly healthy, so they are stocked or on short delivery by battery depots. Next time I think I will shop locally !
I too intended to buy from Tayna but I was put off by the delivery cost to the Highlands and further annoyed when they refuse to honour the discount offered by signing up to their newsletter.

I bought an 80Ah Exide from Groves Batteries. Delivered full and packed in a large bag of absorbent foam chips to mop up any spillage; there was some spillage so I had a bit cleaning up to do but it was contained. I can't vouch for battery longevity as it was only 2 years ago.
Have a look at  This thread  from a couple of years ago. The prices have all gone up since then but the comparisons are still useful. There are also pictures of how the batteries have arrived from some of the suppliers. Note that, according to that thread, batteries are never shipped dry any more.

Tayna's shipping charge of £41.90 is by far the highest and would seem to rule them out unless you have use for a pallet!

I got mine from Batteries & Solar  Currently they have the Exide 80Ah at £82.46 + £9 shipping.