The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 16/6 and first post to this forum resource
Hi, this is my first post here though I joined quite a while ago.

I am a member of the VAR (NZ)

Though I dont own an Austin 7 ( I really am to tall to fit in one comfortably) I have in the past owned a 1934 Ten-Four ( Chrome Radiator) and whilst I disposed of this fully restored nut and bolt back in 2017 I now own 2 1928 Austin 16/6's.

Here is a link to the Classic Rover site where I have them detailed for lack of a dedicated 16/6 site or forum.

https://www.classicroverforum.net/index....ham.45083/

Cheers and happy New Year and keep up the Austineering!

Graeme in New Zealand

Lovely patina, and it's good to see a few early rego stickers along the top of the windscreen too!
Cheers, Geoffrey
I'd love a car like that Graeme, but dare I ask how many mpg?

On the subject of height & Sevens, I'm 6ft1" and drive an Ulster rep. without any difficulty. It's true that I keep 'special' shoes for driving, and I have almost no seat cushion. Interestingly I swapped seats with a friend of similar stature and found I had tons of room in his car, but he could scarcely get into mine. I guess what I'm saying is if you are really keen to drive a Seven there are a few things you can tweak to make it possible.
6 foot 4 this way, its mostly as you will have discovered leg length, I am probably being a little unkind and blaming 7's as the same design specs were probably used on the entire range of Austin cars pre war as I had similar difficulty with my 10-4 and 16/6.

There is a technique for folding your self in and out but on many 7's it was just too difficult, custom engineering would do the trick !

The drive quality in the larger Austin's suits me better than the smaller cars, the 16/6 (and I guess by default 12/4's) tend to get singled out for the ride quality and specifically for the 16/6 the smooth power delivery.

Not to sure about the fuel consumption but other sources put it at around 26 to 27 MPG though I am guessing that could be easily ( but not cheaply) improved.

Graeme

** EDIT**

The fuel efficiency question brings to mind one of the local lads here in Christchurch New Zealand who has done extensive motor modifications to his 1928 12/4, separate ignition coils and modified existing OEM carburetor for fuel injection, bored out inlet and exhaust ports hugely lightened flywheel and a fully mapped ign/fuel with appropriate O2 and fuel sensors plus of course electric radiator fan and reprofiled cam!
Rods have been swapped for proper hardened aftermarket ones to prevent the block from exploding and I am sure a host of other things too BUT its not about power increases though those have inevitably occurred in the process but the focus has been on reliability and drivability and efficiency.

Graeme