The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncanny resemblance?
Hi all. Merry Christmas.  I was looking at a toy I was given for Christmas about 60 years ago and was immediately taken with the similarity of it to a well known twin cam race car. The toy is basically a caricature of the real car it was patterned after, but it bears an uncanny resemblance to the Twin cam. What do you think?
Cheers,
Stephen

.jpg   Schuco-Studio-1050-Mercedes-Grand-Prix-4.jpg (Size: 188.8 KB / Downloads: 364)

.jpg   festivalofspeed1935austinseventwincam.jpg (Size: 96.96 KB / Downloads: 365)
(26-12-2023, 02:12 AM)Steve Bryant Wrote: Hi all. Merry Christmas.  I was looking at a toy I was given for Christmas about 60 years ago and was immediately taken with the similarity of it to a well known twin cam race car. The toy is basically a caricature of the real car it was patterned after, but it bears an uncanny resemblance to the Twin cam. What do you think?
Cheers,
Stephen

The Schuco toy car was/is modelled after the 1934 Mercedes Benz W25.
I'd re-phrase the question. 
Was the Austin Twin-Cam inspired by the W25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqIurHDNKTw
Quite possibly.  The proportions of the Schuco toy mimic the Twin Cam much better than its full size Mercedes counterpart I think.
Stephen
Hi Steve

The proportions might suit the twin cam but not the eight port exhaust manifold ?.

Cheers

Howard
The classic "chicken and egg" question. Smile
Cheers, Geoffrey
To be fair, aren't most racing cars of a similar era somewhat similar? If you had a caricature F1 car of today and a car from a lower class, they'd be pretty similar.... I always thought my Silverstone was rather like the D type Jag but it's creator assured me it was inspired by the knobbly Listers. 

Thst said, your toy does look very much like the Seven.... perhaps someone was experimenting with a 4-8-1 exhaust manifold? [Insert winking emoji]