The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early rear axle shims
Hi,
Can anyone suggest if the shims for the crown wheel carrier bearings are available for the early rear axle that doesn't have the adjusters please. 
I have searched the usual suppliers but cant find any listed.

Thanks
Marcus
I ended up making shims for my later axle. Not that difficult with a Ruby bearing housing, tin snips and a close fitting parallel punch. I think the torque tube bolt pattern is the same as the earlier axles.
A 1 gallon thinners can, a beer can and a Red Bull can are useful raw materials of different thicknesses.
There’s a company called Springmasters in Redditch. They sold me some shim washers a few years ago.
Alan Fairless
...or if you're the fussy type, it's fairly easy to find sheets / packs of shim steel on eBay...
Ten years ago, when I did my '28 Chummy axle, I made a few from 5 thou shim material - 2" OD with a 1 1/2" hole.

Both the OD and hole were punched out.
Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will get on and make some.

Cheers

Marcus
My punch approach

Hi Everyone,

I found some stainless shims on Ebay, that are 50mm OD x 40mm ID and 0.001 thou thick. 10 shims delivered cost me NZD 9.58 or around five quid.

Maybe this will help someone in future

Cheers

Marcus