The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RE Vintage Austin broach
This may be a strange question. I’m looking for information on what appears to be an Austin related pin or broach. I’ve been collecting automobilia for 40-plus years concentrating on mascots, badges and unique items that grabbed my attention . . . such as this pin. I’ve never come across anything like this before. I know that Austin began marketing “Austin Novelties” as early as 1909 through the advertising department at the Longbridge Works in Birmingham. This included a range of broaches/pins (including in 9ct gold), watches, belt buckles, pocket knives, “pocket book” and a board game. This specific item isn’t listed in a 1912 advert that I’ve seen photos of, but I feel sure that it was a later offering.  I’m unable to find any other adverts, so that is only a guess. Can anyone help me date this piece or provide guidance on where I might look? It measures 2 3/4 x 1 3/8 inches and is marked “Sterling” on the reverse and I assume that the stones are crystal or glass. The wheel spins freely. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim Jennings Springfield, Illinois, USA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Unlike corporate emblems of today the winged wheel seems to be different in every publication /grill badge /dealer sign that was produced. What I have noticed is that it tended to get wider (less squat looking) and with cleaner lines over the years that the Seven was produced. It that regard I would expect it to be late '30s. Only a hunch though.
Seems there were lots of promotional items produced over the years?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186193074321

.jpg   Austin Novelties 1.jpg (Size: 294.14 KB / Downloads: 330)

.jpg   Austin Novelties 2.jpg (Size: 186.12 KB / Downloads: 331)
Thanks much.
As a Stirling Silver item and appearing to be of such a finely engineered build (rotating wheels) I would expect the stones could more likely be diamonds?

Dennis
Even back then diamonds would have made it a very pricey novelty IMHO (in a former life I was a working jeweller). At the time silver was probably about 2/- to 2/6d per ounce (Troy weight of a Florin or Half-crown? silver coins were actually silver in them thar days) and I'd suggest paste to be a more likely "sparkler" ...the price for a 9ct gold badge brooch started 9? suggesting shillings, so either 9/? or more likely 99/11 (just short of a fiver for gold), with silver at 1/? or more likely 11/? shillings.
We tested the stones and they did not come back as diamonds. I'm not, given what I paid for it, unhappy. It is really beautiful.

Thank you for the input. I would tend to agree with your assessment.