The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for Removing Broken Circlip
When trying to remove one of the circlips on the propshaft joint, it snapped. I now have just over half of it left in situ with neither of the holes in the ends left. I have managed to remove everything else from the joint, though.

In trying to get the remains of the clip out, I have tried snapping it with a chisel, gripping it with pliers and pushing it out. So far, all I have succeeded in doing is to chase it around the groove.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove it, please? I am considering cutting it with a Dremel as a last resort, but I do not want to nick the actual joint casting if I can avoid it.

Jamie.
I suggest two slim pointy things (scribers, for example) poked in one at each end, and slowly prise it away from the groove. You need something to act as an abutment while you lever away at the other end.
I have some of these type of picks in my tool drawer. Invaluable from time to time - like when a circlip breaks...

.jpg   picks.JPG (Size: 63.72 KB / Downloads: 505)
Thank you, both, for the suggestions. I have a set of similar picks, so shall give it a go.

Jamie.
In my limited experience of removing the circlips, I have nearly always found that the circle is firmly held by the cup having been flung out by centrifugal force. I use a soft faced mallet on the opposite face, giving it a good wallop, which has the effect of the cup in question retreating a little from the clip and making it easier to remove. Hope this helps
Having failed to coax the circlip out with a couple of picks, I did a little judicious drilling into the circlip and created a small dimple in the clip and a small nick in the edge of casting. This allowed me to get a purchase on the remains and hook it out.

Turning my attention to the other end of the prop shaft I discovered that, for some unknown reason, someone had hammered a German one mark coin into one of the recesses where the circlips go. I have absolutely no idea why. I had assumed that it was a substitute for a circlip, but the circlip was happily in place beneath it. Oh, well. It just joins the list of the other curiosities that I have am finding on this car.

Jamie.
Glad you managed to free it Jamie.

Yes - it's always a voyage of discovery working on a car which 90-odd years' worth of 'mechanics' have worked on before you!
A German one mark coin hammered into the UJ makes me wish the Goons were still around. Major Bloodnock would seek to foil the dastardly Jim Moriarty as, on behalf of the fiendish enemy, he attempts to insert said coins into the workings of fine English motor cars. By sowing puzzlement among the Brits he will distract them from the war effort and ensure a foreign victory. But he has not factored in the genius of Eccles and Bluebottle, who will see through the cunning plan and, unbeknownst to Moriarty, swap the marks for gold half sovereigns that are fully compatible with English drivetrains.
(05-12-2023, 07:54 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: A German one mark coin hammered into the UJ makes me wish the Goons were still around. Major Bloodnock would seek to foil the dastardly Jim Moriarty as, on behalf of the fiendish enemy, he attempts to insert said coins into the workings of fine English motor cars. By sowing puzzlement among the Brits he will distract them from the war effort and ensure a foreign victory. But he has not factored in the genius of Eccles and Bluebottle, who will see through the cunning plan and, unbeknownst to Moriarty, swap the marks for gold half sovereigns that are fully compatible with English drivetrains.

Wow Nick... for Christmas, may I suggest that you ask for a book on foraging for mushrooms... I'm a little concerned that you may have eaten a wrong'un!  Wink

I think its more common than you think Jamie... My Austin Seven leaves marks on every drive I park it on.
The German mark just joins the list of other improvisations and "repairs" that I have found. Mind you, I am sure that some of my own work when I was younger would raise many eyebrows now.

Wow Nick... for Christmas, may I suggest that you ask for a book on foraging for mushrooms... I'm a little concerned that you may have eaten a wrong'un!  

Reminds me of something that I overheard when waiting in the fishmongers a few years ago. Two people in front conversing:
"Do you remember old Fred, the bloke who collects wild mushrooms?"
"Yes."
"I haven't seen him lately. Have you?"
"No."

It made me smile, although I am sure that I oughtn't.

Jamie