The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on tool posts for a small lathe
Having discovered that my Drummond roundbed has some issues  I have recently gained another... this has a modified cross slide but is missing a tool post. 

I don't suppose anyone has something suitable gathering dust they'd be willing to part with? Or a suggestion as to a good budget unit that might be suitable. 

High Nick. The most useful type is the Dickson "quite-set" where cutting tools are kept permanently in place in drop-in, height-adjustable holders. Once you've used one of these, you won't want to go back to packing up tools with lengths of broken-off  hacksaw blade.
The original UK-made units are very expensive but there are many copies now available - though the tool holders are rarely interchangeable between them. As your lathe has a 4-inch centre height, one for a Myford might suit, but it could need a raiser plate beneath the central block to be effective. RGD tools sell them (though their choice is rather limited at the moment) as do Chronos who have a far better selection - and also have an offer at the moment for sets of extra holders. You'll need a set with a minimum of four holders; if fewer, it negates the whole point of them which is to set the tool height correctly and keep it in place, just dropping it into position when needed. With four holders you'll have a parting tool, boring tool, knife tool, and a finishing tool all ready for immediate use. Prices range from around £70 to £130.
A good alternative is the Chinese-made "piston" type in its smallest version. These have five holders as standard: boring, parting, knurling and round (though the last sometimes comes as a No.2 Morse taper). If you buy one of these, get a couple of extra standard holders at the same time. I've sold lots of these over the years in all three sizes and have been OK.
A much cheaper type is, of course, a 4-way toolpost, like this and sized to suit the 4.5-inch centre-height Boxford. Don't worry about it being made in India, all the Chronos Soba stuff is made there as well - as are many of their other engineering bits and pieces.
Tony is THE man!

I have a 4-way toolpost on my Myford. Works for me.
That's brilliant, thanks Tony. 

Ever the parsimonious sevener, I'm wondering if anyone has something second hand? The tool post will otherwise cost me more than both lathes!
Nick, I'd go with 4-way on eBay. Any 4-way with the screws intact and in decent order is going to fetch more secondhand. I've seen what is probably the same one offered by UK dealers at £75
I have the Chronos 4 way tool post, it’s been doing sterling service for the past twenty years, blow the moths out of that wallet Nick!
OK, so we have established that I should have bought the piston type quick change toolpost, not the four way, but I am a cheapskate...

...but should there be this much movement in the fixing screws?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Fh0vFzW2NCY?feature=share
That's know in the trade as a 'rattler'.
I’ve found that Arc Euro Trade inn Leicester is a good supplier for these sorts of parts.
https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue...l-Post-Set
One of their larger posts has been on my CVA for 15 years.
(15-12-2023, 08:10 AM)Robert Foreman Wrote: That's know in the trade as a 'rattler'.

If it was one I might live with it, but all nine rattle around like an old woman's teeth! (Apologies to any old women reading this)