The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C cab original or not?
Hi All

I’ve got a new addition to the stable!  A 1929 C cab van.

I bought it assuming that it was a reproduction as the shape is incorrect for the typical Startin vans sold by Austin.

However I found this distributors plate above the windscreen.  It looks genuine and fixed in period (rather than recently). A web search suggests that Hayward’s went out of business in 1967.

Can anyone please tell me any more about Haywards and give an opinion as to whether the van could possibly have been constructed in 1929, ie an original alternative to the Startin vans?

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_0793.jpeg (Size: 137.11 KB / Downloads: 438)
.jpeg   IMG_0799.jpeg (Size: 139.84 KB / Downloads: 441)
.jpeg   IMG_3716.jpeg (Size: 78.14 KB / Downloads: 441)
As you say, it's not a standard Startin body, but there is no reason why it couldn't have originated like that. The very square rear end seems very amateurish, but there may have been a specific need for such a shape - who knows?
Congratulations, square rear end aside, it’s a pretty little van, I love it!

I bet someone on the forum knows about Haywards, they may well have had their own coach builders in house.
I seem to remember seeing this van as far back as the 1970s at various 750 club and Austin Seven Owners club rallies in Kent (Hawkhurst, etc), and I am pretty sure it was an early attempt at a replica at a time when the only surviving original (albeit re-bodied) Startin van was thought to be Malcolm Marsh's.
I cannot recall anything further of its origins or Jack Acott himself, but I would think an older-standing member of one of the above clubs may know more.
The plate seems to be a supplier's plate rather than a coachbuilder's plate, there are examples on the 'net fitted to a BSA motorcycle and a post-war MG.
It would seem the registration was issued by Middlesex C.C. between January and June 1929 - the first registration issued on 1st Jan '29 was MT 1417.
The van was built in the 1970s by Jack Acott he allso built a caravan to tow behind the van to attend shows and rallies,      C Hayward and son started making cycles in the early 1900s and went onto motorcycle repair and sales then to motor vehicles and in 1914 they suffered a disastrous fire and again in march1943 it was bombed re built and  in 1967 the dealership was sold to Caffyns.  C Hayward and son allso had a coach building in Castle Street Ashford and built one of the first motorised ambulance for the St John's Ambulance service based on a model T chassis from Manchester.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi

Thanks ever so much for this.  It is very good to know the history and now armed with the fact that the conversion is probably around fifty years old I aim to preserve it. Originally I purchased the van assuming it was a much more modern conversion and had intentions to rebuild to conform with the Startin vans of the 20s.  I will need to change the seating arrangement as Jack must have had shorter legs than me!

There is a slight conundrum with the dealers plate but I am guessing that this was on the original car and simply transferred to the van once complete.

Thanks to everyone who has commented.  Mike….. the van is indeed ‘agricultural’ in construction (apologies to Jack Acott). Some of the frame members have clearly been used before with rebates and screw holes present.  The roof is a single sheet of plywood simply painted black!

There is a lot to do…for example The bonnet sides have been cut at the front and extended at the rear to make them fit the aperture (chassis bowed?).

Happy days.

Any more information on the van’s history very welcome! Especially a photo of the caravan!!

Cheers

Howard
There are a couple of Hooe Old Motor Club rally programmes on the 'net (1977 and 1983) where the van is shown as an entry. Described variously as:
" being rebuilt over a period of 7 years by the owner, Jack Acott of Birchington, after being found in a pig-sty. Used every day since restoration in 1969. Tows a small caravan to rallies, etc"
Hi Bystander 

Good to know my van has a pedigree.  Pig-sty no less!

Thanks for the info.  I’ve been crawling underneath and the van has been constructed by removing the Chummy? floor pan just behind the seats and replacing it with some quite large timber sections.  The remains of the tow bracket consist of four bolts through the rear timber cross member.  I’m not sure I would like to tow anything with it!

It also has Nobby spring assisters, necessary as the van floor is just a couple of inches above the axle crown wheel.

A real voyage of discovery this morning.

Cheers

Howard