The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol tank contamination
Hi. This is my first post, having bought my mk1 Ruby a couple of months ago. Can anyone advise how to clean out the petrol tank? It has a thick layer of black sludge in the bottom. I believe the car stood for 40 years before I bought it. Is there a solvent available to dissolve the sludge?
You may have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and have it professionally cleaned. I had a similar problem with the tank on my RP and tried all sorts of hinges to try and clean it, none of which worked.

I am not sure that the old trick of putting gravel in the tank and spinning it ( I have seen a concrete mixer used for this) works with a Seven tank because of the internal baffles. However, I will bow to superior knowledge on this.
Thanks David. Food for thought!
Take care, after 40 years the sludge may be holding the tank together! If the base of the tank is corroded then aggressive cleaning will leave you with a sieve.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I used the gravel and concrete mixer method with no problem. If the bottom of the tank is thin enough to be a problem then simply cut out the bottom, clean through the large hole you have cut, then weld a big patch in. It's easier to get a leak-proof weld with oxy-acetylene, though I have done it with MIG. With MIG it leaked first time, a bit more welding and it was a good job.
Don't put a spark or naked flame anywhere near an old fuel tank unless you know what you are doing - no matter how long it is since it held petrol.
I had a similar problem with a friend's RP tank and used Bilt Hamber's Deox C to clean it out.        
I've been through all of this. Tried everything.
Best solution is a new tank from https://www.compbrake.com/product-catego...car-tanks/
They were very helpful and keen to get it right. I found it best to send them my old tank to match up exactly.
Thanks guys for all your advice. I will try the Bilt Hamber stuff first and if that doesn’t work, something more drastic!
No idea of actual quality but the Compbrake tanks look good.