The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton Run.
Live! Insider’s view: Starting the 2023 London to Brighton Veteran Car Run with a 1902 Columbia - PreWarCar

I just watched the start and run through London- what is this with the traffic lights showing yellow yellow green  Huh

What happened to red ?
Mrs W and I watched the cars go through at Cuckfield. I saw the 1902 Columbia, although it seems they had stopped the live streaming by then so we weren't caught on their video.

I see they resumed the stream later: They almost made it! See the finish of the 2023 Veteran Car Run from a 1902 Columbia (a bit of a spoiler in the title!).
(06-11-2023, 04:45 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Live! Insider’s view: Starting the 2023 London to Brighton Veteran Car Run with a 1902 Columbia - PreWarCar

I just watched the start and run through London- what is this with the traffic lights showing yellow yellow green  Huh

What happened to red ?

Hi Tony

I think it’s one’s eye being tricked by the camera and lighting??

Cheers

Howard
At least one member of the forum did it yesterday and finished, pleased to finish but exhausted.

It's a very long, cold day, (those cars don't have windscreens and no heat from the engines to speak of.)
(06-11-2023, 08:42 AM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(06-11-2023, 04:45 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Live! Insider’s view: Starting the 2023 London to Brighton Veteran Car Run with a 1902 Columbia - PreWarCar

What happened to red ?

Hi Tony

I think it’s one’s eye being tricked by the camera and lighting??

Cheers

Howard

A very few lights still showed red yellow green but most were yellow yellow green  Huh

(06-11-2023, 08:27 AM)Ian Wegg Wrote: Mrs W and I watched the cars go through at Cuckfield. I saw the 1902 Columbia, although it seems they had stopped the live streaming by then so we weren't caught on their video.

I see they resumed the stream later: They almost made it! See the finish of the 2023 Veteran Car Run from a 1902 Columbia (a bit of a spoiler in the title!).

But the Columbia did finish comfortably (on its modern battery pack)
Obviously no one has driven in London recently  Smile
Tongue 
(06-11-2023, 08:27 AM)Ian Wegg Wrote: Mrs W and I watched the cars go through at Cuckfield. I saw the 1902 Columbia, although it seems they had stopped the live streaming by then so we weren't caught on their video.

Ian, I was also with family and friends in Cuckfield high street enjoying warm refreshments from Toms coffee shop .. Only in the UK do you see a chap on a penny farthing, wearing a plinth helmet ... 

cheers
Matt
I have a feeling he's the chap that has been round the world on a penny farthing.

Wellies are an odd choice for cycling though.
I did a few London to Brighton's in the 80s. The Police would be on all the traffic lights stopping the traffic and we would be out of London and on our way. The last I did was during the Miners strike and the London Police were up North. Replaced by Specials who had no idea, just stood at the lights watching the mayhem. Our run in the only Sturmy Artcher car ended in Brixton 2 hours after the start. The one off gearbox broken from the continuous stop start gearchanges.
I travelled down to Sussex in my modern as a 300 mile return journey in November is a bit too much in a pre-war car.  Undecided

The first tranche of my photos have now been uploaded to https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p73498569
with the remainder to follow in the next few days.

If you'd rather look at Austin 7s then https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/?q=Austin%207

is the link you need. Unfortunately the programmer put an upper limit of 5oo search results so this won’t show all the A7 photos but you can put in a search by registration number or model if you want to look at a particular model/car.

Enjoy!