The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Georgie
Having just spotted, on Facebook, a delightful set of photos and an accompanying story, I suggested they be shared here; as the writer of the tale is unable to cope with this forum, he's asked me to do so on his behalf.

The Adventures of Georgie
After national service, my Mum and Dad Margery and Gilbert found themselves working in Bristol and looking for adventure… Dad found a 1933 Austin Chummy which had been hidden throughout the war in a locked garage and bought it for £30, it needed work and the hood was rotten, you simply couldn’t get anything that post war, tyres, spares, nothing… so ever resourceful they found some materials and a singer industrial boot patchers sewing machine and made a hood!
The front tyres were completely bald.. before during and after the trip 
They hatched a plan to tour France so together with Mum's friend Olive and Dad's friend Dennis, they set off in 1950.. with Dennis and Olive on his brand new Sunbeam S8 motorcycle…now bear in mind this was a scant 5 years after the Allies had landed in France for very different reasons! And l remember Dad saying that in places there was a fair bit of animosity towards the British because of the destruction!
On the whole though they were well treated.
The two on the bike were meant to be a couple…. But after the first day, Dennis was riding solo and Olive in the back of the poor little Austin 
There were no drive-on ferries and this must be quite a rare shot of a free-flying Austin!!
They obviously all survived because next l will post the same car camping at Ladram Bay 1953!
This car is still on the road!! I would love these pictures to somehow reach the owner?

A a footnote to that tale… before Mum passed away 4 years past, and she knew her number was up… my Mum broke no rules, ever!
She summoned me to the bedside and told me to look in the cigar box.. where l would find receipts for the cheeses  … somewhat puzzled l asked he what that was about?
Evidently during that trip 70 years earlier with UK still under severe rationing….. they had been offered in France a number of very large full cheeses at a bargain price…. These were stashed in somewhere within Georgie and snuk into UK on their return and no doubt sold at handsome profit… or traded for new tyres  .. she carried the guilt 70 years… expecting a knock on the door from the revenue 
Interestingly neither Dennis nor Olive ever married to the best of knowledge…. Was it that trip??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

what a wonderfull story and photos are are superb, can I point out the quality and in particular the tension on the hood if I had created that hood to that standard I would have been delighted , great to see it made me smile regards to all Rob.
what is amazing is that £33 paid for car that had only been used 1933 - 1939 and a couple of years after the war is about 8 years of use and the state the car was in, also that it was only worth a third of the purchase price. Super pictures all the same.
Glorious story and photos Anne. Thanks so much for posting them.
A great tale there, personalised history with smuggling!
I love the pic with the Sunbeam, my first "big" bike after my test in 1968 was a 1954 Sunbeam S7 for which I paid the princely sum of £1.10s. ...happy days. As ever, if only I'd kept it...but I swapped it for a Norton Dommie 99.
I'm pleased you enjoyed it, I certainly did.

All we have to do now is find its current owner.

I was surprised it was as much as £33..... that was a lot of money in 1950 when the average man's wage was around £380 per annum.... so a whole month's wages! 
Although, come to think of it, I bought my Ruby for £180 in 1971, which was pretty much my monthly income.
Good evening everyone.
WHat a great story and thanks for sharing it all.
After a quick check up, it doesn't seem to appear on the A7CA chassis register but it DOES appear on DVLA website as a black Austin of 858 cc (presumably a 7) registered in December 1933. Its last V5C change was on January 11th 2019 and its tax is due on December 1st this year so it looks like someone somewhere is still running the car?
Perhaps someone on here will know something of its whereabouts...
Best wishes,
Nick