The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Registration number
I have recently acquired a 1934 Nippy, original registration MJ 2704. The car has come from a probate estate, it has no registration documents, but had a 1965 tax disc on the windscreen. The DVLA will not allow me to claim the original number without proof of chassis number allocation to the car, in the form of old style rf50 registration document or old MOT certificate. I have been in contact with Bedfordshire CC Archive Dept', and they have a record of first registration allocation, but that does not include the chassis number!!! 
So this is a forlone hope that perhaps someone out there may recognise the car, and know of a previous owner from the past
Have you tried contacting the Sports Register? See here:

https://a7ca.org/member-clubs/

Scroll right down to find details.
The register was already around in the 1970s. You never know.

Regards,

Stuart
Or visit the A7 Archive for the chassis register:

.png   Screenshot 2023-10-19 131920.png (Size: 21.82 KB / Downloads: 485)
I'm afraid I have no clue whether this has been used in the past to support registration no. claims - but it could be worth a shot if all else fails.
I also have no idea whether more info is available to the registrar(s), in this GDPR age, which might enable contact with prior owners.
Would talking to Peter Rowlands help possibly? He is the DVLA rep for the Pre-War A7 Club (other Clubs also have their reps) I gather he is quite skilled in the art...
Thank you everyone, it appears my car is on the Sports Register. Now to convince the DVLA. I am the SWA7C DVLA Rep', so have a few contacts. Is there anyway I can find out when the car was registered with the Sports Register?
John
At the Archive we have a very early printed edition of the Chassis Register that we were gifted by Adli Halabi, the first Registrar. I'm not sure when it can be next consulted but that my reveal a dated entry which would help perhaps?
Does the original Bedfordshire CC record the 'Car No.' or engine number? It must have some entry to distinguish it from other Type 65's? I looked in my early chassis register compiled by Adli Halabi and it is not listed.
If it's anything like the copy of the original registration document I have for my Box Saloon (from Dorset) It just mentions the name of the people registering the car and the registration number granted. There is nothing that identifies the specific car in that way...

Thanks for the note about the Adli printed Register - that is a shame as it would associate a date to when the car was known to exist...
Well at least we know the registration number hasn’t been robbed, I’m sure there is enough information on record to rescue the number (non-transferable of course) and with the knowledge base here on the forum, I’m sure more information will come to light.
The kithead trust hold Index Cards to 1936 for Bedfordshire - perhaps worth dropping them an email and spending the search cost to ascertain what is on the card index.

https://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales#MJ