The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another 5200-miler...and no mice damage.
Try not to burst out laughing -
"Here we have a completely original Austin 7 Ruby, this car is totally original, it has been in current ownership since 1992, this car is completely original, you won't find another like this..."
And, a snip at only £10,000. Well, it is right-hand drive (but it doesn't run). You know the routine: 'requires light re-commissioning'  https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1642829
Notable original features are preserved in the attached pictures for reference by keen restorers. Still, it's a shame that the original rubber knob on the toolbox is missing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It begs the question. How much would you pay for a Ruby that does not run. I have a Ruby in reasonable condition body wise. It is fitted with a Phoenix Crank and the big ends were re metalled at the same time. Since then it has only done about 2000 miles. The car is not for sale but if it was I doubt I would get little more than that non runner.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
That door card upholstery doesn't look original; the check-strap should be fastened behind the door card, and the latter shouldn't be fastened with visible screw-heads. The pull-handle is the wrong shape, and the bakelite cover over the lock is missing... and that's just for starters!
(05-10-2023, 11:25 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: That door card upholstery doesn't look original; the check-strap should be fastened behind the door card, and the latter shouldn't be fastened with visible screw-heads. The pull-handle is the wrong shape, and the bakelite cover over the lock is missing... and that's just for starters!

Come on, Mike. Give him credit, there's that set of modern rubber mats to enhance the appeal.

(05-10-2023, 10:45 AM)John Mason Wrote: It begs the question. How much would you pay for a Ruby that does not run. I have a Ruby in reasonable condition body wise. It is fitted with a Phoenix Crank and the big ends were re metalled at the same time. Since then it has only done about 2000 miles.  The car is not for sale but if it was I doubt I would get little more than that non runner.

John Mason.

In today's uncertain market, one is curious to know what a Ruby, fully restored and to its original specification would command. And by that I mean a car brought back to as near ex-factory condition as possible. A complete chassis rebuilt, a 100% 'new' engine with a Phoenix crank, new wiring loom, all the instruments working, the body brought back to A1 condition, the sunroof watertight and working, etc. Perhaps some desirable touches would be a car that retains - in reasonable order - its original leather seats, door trim, rubber floor mats and chromed parts. i.e. jump in and go and know that it's going to be as good as it could ever be.

(05-10-2023, 10:45 AM)John Mason Wrote: It begs the question. How much would you pay for a Ruby that does not run. I have a Ruby in reasonable condition body wise. It is fitted with a Phoenix Crank and the big ends were re metalled at the same time. Since then it has only done about 2000 miles.  The car is not for sale but if it was I doubt I would get little more than that non runner.

John Mason.

In today's uncertain market, one is curious to know what a Ruby, fully restored and to its original specification would command - and by that I mean a car brought back to as near ex-factory condition as possible. A complete chassis rebuilt, a 100% 'new' engine with a Phoenix crank, new wiring loom, all the instruments working, the body brought back to A1 condition, the sunroof watertight and working, etc. Perhaps some desirable touches would be a car that retains - in reasonable order - its original leather seats, door trim, rubber floor mats and chromed parts. i.e. jump in and go and know that it's going to be as good as it could ever be.
I enjoyed going through the pictures and seeing all the various items that were wrong/missing/damaged, but pleased to see that it at least retains its original registration number. I can’t see it getting close to that asking price.

Now, referring to Tony’s proposition, an absolutely spot on Ruby, with a good original interior and the very sensible engine upgrades, even in today’s market, I would be happy to spend £10,000, you wouldn’t be able to renovate one to that standard for that sort of money.

The over priced car has a certain attraction though!
Externally, it looks rather nice, to my eye, at least. But in these days of falling prices, half that would be somewhere closer to my mind...
I witnessed the exhumation of a Seven from a 51 year hibernation last weekend, the owner bought it in 1965 and removed the engine in 1972 for the car's rebuild     and that as far as it got
(05-10-2023, 11:59 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I enjoyed going through the pictures and seeing all the various items that were wrong/missing/damaged, but pleased to see that it at least retains its original registration number. I can’t see it getting close to that asking price.

Now, referring to Tony’s proposition, an absolutely spot on Ruby, with a good original interior and the very sensible engine upgrades, even in today’s market, I would be happy to spend £10,000, you wouldn’t be able to renovate one to that standard for that sort of money.

The over priced car has a certain attraction though!

Yes, a high-quality Ruby rebuild (as with any pre-war saloon) can run to £20,000+ if professionals are involved - and there would still remain detail jobs to do. Why spend so much when the finished job will not be worth the cost of restoration? Well, it's not about the money, I suppose it's just having something you desire - and being able to afford it.