The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novice Question
Hi chaps,

Am I right in saying all early pre ruby LWB chassis are fitted with basically the same mechanics as a late SWB ?

Many thanks Matt
Hi Matt

In a word no.

There was a continual development of engine, gearbox and back axles over the period 1931 to 1934.

Such as 4 speed gearboxes, altered starter motor positions, different back axle configurations etc etc etc.

I suggest you try and get hold of “The Source Book” by Brian Purves or “The Austin Seven” by RJWyatt both of which record detailed changes over the life of the Seven.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard, 

but would they be interchangeable ? eg I run a 4 speed and bacon slicer in the SWB - I measured uo the axles and to my surprise they are the same lengths. So I guess the wheel based changed with the Ruby body, but thank you for the reference to the books i'll certainly look to get a copy...

Cheers
As others will point out, there are several pretty significant differences - but with access to a lathe and milling machine, it's amazing what can be made to fit. e.g. I know of two cars that should have 3-speed gearboxes fitted with a 4-speed - yet the builders manage to modify things so that instead of the bulky bacon slicer, they engineered in the later in-the-cabin type. A front-mounted starter engine in a rear-starter car - or the other way round - it's possible.
Rear axles and propshaft lengths changed - but I run a four speed box in a short chassis.

I have swapped a shortened Carden joint style propshaft for a shortened Hardy Spicer shaft.

The wider rear axle has additional lugs and non- standard spring pins, so it fits the short chassis.

So you can use later components, but they (usually) need to be modified.
I run a three bearing engine with an early crash four-speed box in my '31 Ulster rep, with a Hardy-Spicer propshaft. Most combinations can be done with a little thought. Where you can come unstuck is the low frame vs high frame engines as the latter sits 5/16" higher than the former...or is it the other way around...
many thanks for the feedback....