The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1937 Austin 7- 2 seater,Crank case Oil quantity?
The petrol pump cover needs to have a good seal both at the base and where the screw passes through the centre. If not it doesn't do much  (if any) drawing of fuel! Oh and if it does it leaks...
You are correct, the vehicle is Left hand drive with a bench seat. I do believe the ONLY modification is the seat. I know my grandfather reupholstered the seat. I do not know if the bench seat was standard or if it was made after. The vehicle is all Original otherwise.

So, Update.

Yesterday I got the new Spark plugs.

Pulled out the old ones which looked BLACK and looked to be Gapped out to .030-.034.

I Put a couple drops of mystery oil in each cylinder. Gapped the new plugs out to about .024 and tested each plus for spark against the crank case.

So I confirmed i had spark.
Next I retested the fuel pump by hooking up a small line into a cup of fuel and manually priming. No draw from the cup and no fuel filling the bowl or exiting.

So, the pump is not pumping ! Either the diaphragm is toast or it’s all clogged up.

I filled the carburetor bowl directly and gave her a crank.

She fired up and ran for 20 seconds! The Best 20 seconds in weeks!

I have a video of it running but it won’t let me upload it. 

So now i just need to find the proper rebuild kit for the pump, with diaphragm and gaskets.
Congrats Jason

Well done.

I find the best way is to upload the video to YouTube and post the link here. Next time you fire it up check the oil pressure. Should be quite high at first but then drop to nearly zero once the oil is warm. If it stays high you may have a blocked oil jet.

As the car has a UK engine I would recommend you get the ‘Austin Seven Manual’ from Mercury Vintage Services, email susan.woodrow@gmail.com. The book is regularly referred to as ‘Woodrow’ and is a very good manual for all Austin Seven variants.

Cheers

Howard
I suspect the bench seat is not a modification; I have seen other left-hand-drive 2-seaters with a bench seat, although I am not aware of any mention in Longbridge publications.
Perfect ! Thank you
Yes, IIRC, Yves Roussel in France has an Export 2 seater and that has a bench seat..
I too have seen them fitted with a bench seat. Note the export wheels, air filter and hinge-mounted mirror on the driver's side door. I'm curious about the horn (or horns); what's going on there?
Perfect ! Thank you
There are two horns back to back mounted highest to the top of the Bonnet.