The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil price
I use this, currently £3.75 per litre (delivered)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254963983056?...media=COPY
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I have been using the Mannol 10/40 oil bought from Ebay since I have had my Seven. Apart from overhauling the engine when I first had the car, I have not so far had any problems. Mind you, I change the oil every 2500 miles.
Mike you are correct about introducing multigrade oil into an engine that has not had all the oil ways and passages cleaned. Multigrade will not harm the engine in itself but will loosen and remove any sludge and muck left in the oil ways more than likely causing blockages and oil starvation. I should have mentioned it in my first input.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
It's not multigrade oil, per se, that will clean out the sludge but the detergent additives. There are plenty of low or no detergent multigrades available.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I wouldn't put detergent multigrade into an engine I hadn't stripped and cleaned. But come to that, nor would I run an engine I hadn't stripped and cleaned...

FWIW, on the topic of bulk buying, most manufacturers advise engine oil should be used within about 2 years of purchase. That said, I'm still using up a case of Duckhams which has been unsuitably stored in the roof of my garage for at least a decade and I haven't blown anything up yet.

I've recently "switched" to Morris Golden Film 20W/50 which has one major selling point - their 5 litre containers are just the right width to tuck down in the spare wheel slot of the Ulster. Now that I have two containers, I shall probably re-fill them with whatever is cheaply available.
If you want an off the shelf oil I can recommend Halford's own brand semi synthetic 15/40 5ltr £24 .99 we use it for sprints/hillclimbs. Terry.
(29-09-2023, 12:58 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I wouldn't put detergent multigrade into an engine I hadn't stripped and cleaned. But come to that, nor would I run an engine I hadn't stripped and cleaned...

FWIW, on the topic of bulk buying, most manufacturers advise engine oil should be used within about 2 years of purchase. That said, I'm still using up a case of Duckhams which has been unsuitably stored in the roof of my garage for at least a decade and I haven't blown anything up yet.

I've recently "switched" to Morris Golden Film 20W/50 which has one major selling point - their 5 litre containers are just the right width to tuck down in the spare wheel slot of the Ulster. Now that I have two containers, I shall probably re-fill them with whatever is cheaply available.

Two years, blimey. One Maurice Patey, a long-time Scott owner and racer was still, in the 1970s, not only wearing his two-piece ex-German navy submarine leathers (acquired when advancing across said country in 1944) but also drawing Castrol R from a very large drum he claimed he'd "found" in the 1930s. Never one to spend a penny more than necessary, his super-quick Scott Sprint Special had its magneto held on with a bent 6-inch nail, threaded at the end, that he'd picked up from the side of the road - handily opposite a garage in Scarborough - when the original strap broke. "It's just temporary," he said. "I'll fix it one day." Of course, he never did. Amusingly, on his German travels - he worked for RR and was there to fit oil seals to the valve guides of tanks with the company's engines - he acquired a huge amount of booty. This was packed into the large wooden crates that had gone out with him to do the job; to get the stuff back he borrowed an army stencil set and marked the boxes, "Urgent. Return to RR Derby". The army kindly obliged. Needless to say, when he got back, all hell broke out, not because of what was in the boxes - they were unopened - but because of the room they were taking up. Next move, bribe an RR lorry driver to take them to his grandmother's garage - which they filled - but with two (to his grandfather's disgust) having to be left on the front lawn. His subsequent wheeling and dealing with the benefits of his "holiday abroad" would fill a book.