The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine 'tinkle'
My 1933, 2 bearing Engine is running fine.
However, on tickover, I get a random 'tinkle' noise, appearing to be somewhere from front of engine. Pretty sure it's not preignition, still there when I fully retard A/R lever. I know its a long shot, but anyone any idea what it might be.
I haven't heard 'pinking' for years, modern fuels don't seem to do it. It would normally happen under load e.g. slogging up a steep hill in top and sounded rather like a wine glass breaking. I'd suggest to start by eliminating simple things like the fan assembly (try removing the fan belt) or starting handle.
starting handle?
(24-09-2023, 10:51 PM)richard wyatt Wrote: starting handle?

Beat me to it  Tongue
Could also be the fan. The bush doesn’t have to have much play in it to make a noise. Takethebelt off and see if the noise goes away.
It could be the bendix spring on the starter motor not seating properly.
My best bid.  Too much backlass in cam/dynamo gears. If it is less tinkling  with full/winter charge .
First, take the fan belt off. If it's still tinkling then it's likely to be the starting handle. Take off the handle. If it's still tinkling, buy ear plugs.
My '35 APD had exactly the same problem. Cured by replacing the fan belt pulley shaft/bearing with a less wobbly one.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Mine was also the starting handle brass bit vibrating happily to itself.
Not many things on an Austin 7 that can be fixed with a bit of sheep's wool taken from a barbed wire fence Smile
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!