The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damaged hub puller(s) wanted.
Hi all. Apologies for not putting this in sales and wants... does anyone have a hub puller on the shelf with stripped threads? I have a particularly stubborn back axle and don't want to weld a decent one onto the already damaged threads on the hub.
I've got one but you'll have to come to France to fetch it. It will cost you more than it's worth for postal charges and customs post youknowwhatxit
Hi Nick,
I have one that is as you described.
Let me know where to send it.

Peter Pearson
How about cutting the hub off ?
Hi Nick

That will be the last resort, but I will if need be. I'm far to parsimonious to waste a good hub, and always consider that they must be very well lapped when they won't separate without a fight!

Last time I had this problem, I did eventually achieve separation of the hub (or taper) welding the puller over the mangled threads. The hubs are still in service on my ORT. I have been able to remove plenty of hubs since with the remains of the old puller, cut in half and welded to some gash steel to create a triangular ring that is clamped very tight at the rear of the thread allowing a 3 legged puller to be used. Having destroyed that with a hydraulic puller, I'll probably make another with the knackered puller I use to free this one up...
Success and failure... I welded this on three times before I got the taper to break... the first time the weld broke... the second time it ripped the surface off the hub... the third time I wasn't taking any chances... and it finally popped and separated the taper. Unfortunately I didn't have sufficient thread left to pull the hub and having removed the bolt to insert a piece of bar to give more push I noticed it was opening the opposite hub and convinced myself that I would damage the diff before getting the hub off. Two people said sometimes cutting the hub is the only option.Still... the half shaft is the expensive bit and that survived. I have a few spare rear hubs somewhere. 

The second one came off quicker... more welding first time, and having had a quick chat with Ruairidh I wasn't so concerned about the diff...

Thanks for the help!