The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor cable route
I have a 1930 Chummy with an under bonnet starter motor. I have to reroute the cable, currently to a battery under the driver's seat) to the proper battery location under the passenger seat. What's the best route for the cable please?
As this is a non-standard installation the only suggestion I can make is to keep it as short as possible and well-clipped down. I'd experiment with a more flexible cable to see what route is possible: perhaps up the firewall, then across it (just above the engine), then down and through it at a point that would line it up with the original floor-mounted switch - if you still have that fitted - and then to the battery? You might be able to run it along the inside face of the firewall, but as the proper cable is very stiff, getting it the bend inwards (through the firewall) and then immediately towards the passenger side would be difficult.
Thanks Tony. It's a good point you make about the stiffness of the cable. I think Auto Electric Supplies catalogue a special flexible  version which would be useful
Arc welding cables are much more flexible and will carry maximum amps
Charging cables for fork lift trucks are equally flexible.
I'm no electrician but should one be concerned in the drop off / loss of power in such a long lead?
I assume that your are using the cable operated switch on the starter. I'd run the cable straight back and alongside the propshaft tunnel to the battery under the drivers seat. There is plenty of room for it      Tony will recognize the photo.
When I first ran my RL saloon, early sixties, I fitted a ruby engine with under bonnet starter. I retained the floor mounted switch, ran a cable from the switch over the bell housing to the starter. I adjusted the starter mounted starter switch so that it was permanent  "on", and operated the starter from the original switch. Battery under passenger seat.
Thanks again for the advice