The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealer's wall clocks
I have a Smiths c1935/9 type wall clock with an "Austin" script on the face. It has come from France via Beaulieu and all the Austin "experts" who have seen it say it is genuine, and if it is not so, it's a VERY good fake. Have emailed The Archive asking for info on these clocks, as I have no knowledgeof them, but have not yet received any reply, so throw the request open to anyone who can assist in putting together info. on these clocks.

.jpg   Clock.1.JPG (Size: 635.84 KB / Downloads: 379)
Hi

Just a thought, would they have been made for the Austin Works? I could see these adorning office and workshop spaces in the day.

Cheers

Howard
Our apologies but your mail, via the webmaster, fell through a creck during the transition of the Archivist's role. I can confirm that we have nothing in the Archive (that I know of) that refers to these clocks. Certainly, yes, they are of a standard Smiths design (I even have one in my kitchen as I type this) so the idea of adding a simple branding to the face makes sense. Indeed, I have seen the same clock with an MG emblem on it, but also know that those to have been faked as well. In the MG world, memorabilia often had a greater value than other marques so would it have been worth faking one with the Austin logo? Perhaps, perhaps not. We will never know. Yours does seem to have a certain patina about it, so it could well be original...

Sorry not to be of more help...
Graham, does it have the original movement? If so, that may provide some information, my pal has a few genuine ones and I can do a comparison…I think Tony Betts knows a thing or two about these as well…

.jpg   Clock.2.JPG (Size: 681.64 KB / Downloads: 305)
Ivor
Some more info on the clock + a photo of the back
It was very dirty and dusty. The Bakelite was black with grime, the face has many age related marks (that don't show in the photo), and the mechinism was very "sticky" , but has freed up after numerous starts/stops. Close study of the face shows no sign of over painting of the background or lettering. The "Austin" script is the same texture and colour as the numbers and minute markings. All this add up to a genuine article, but what I need is a photo of one hanging in an Austin Dealer's showroom !
That looks the same mechanism as I have on my clock. They are very simple to deal with (on mine, anyway) there is a small recessed screw that holds the rear cover on the mech then 3(?) screws that holds the electric motor on the geartrain. I have, on odd occasions, removed the motor and applied *very* small amounts of 3-in-1 to the gears and spun them over by my finger to spread the oil about. The motor is reliable and my clock keeps time, almost to the second. It is one of my favourite pieces...
Guess you are lucky! - Mine is clockwork, with a BIG spring, and I have to wind it up once a week. At the moment I have no need to take it apart as it's working well,and any repair will tend to upset the patina.
Graham
I'm pretty sure that's genuine - I had the opportunity to buy one very much like that fifty, maybe even nearly sixty, years ago; I didn't bother. I seem to recall the asking price was £5, for which I could have bought a complete Seven!
Ah, well that would explain why there is no flex leading to the motor. I did wonder!! :o)
My friends in the Ex Austin Apprentices Assn. are thinking it's genuine.