The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox Identification
good afternoon all

have a question regarding gearbox identification as follows:

Top of gearbox has the following markings:

2 syn  84545E  a separate "diamond"

separate is the symbol "N"

thank you for any information you may be able to assist

Bernard

sorry gents,

i made an error in the original message.  the ID on the gearbox should have read:

" 2 SYN     8454 E "  plus "diamond" marking

hopefully someone can identify this gearbox, including possible date.

many thanks
Bernard
The '2 SYN' box is the one with synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and 4th introduced in July 1936.
Gearbox tops are not a reliable way to identifiy types as they get swapped around the 2 syncro box 3rd/4th gear has no cut out at the front r/h side (see photo) and a different rear cover also the selector forks are different and some have the date 1931 on the r/h side of the box. The covers are the same on 2 and 3 syncro boxes, 3 syncro boxs have the cutout to enable removal of the mainshaft. Photo of the 2 syncro m/shaft showing the 2nd gear dogs.   Terry.        
This page:

https://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Arti...0Identify/

shows a view of a 2 SYN box with the lid off - there is a small cut-out in the top flange - seen top-left corner, which is useful to tell if the box matches the 2 SYN lid as this is missing from the earlier box.
Thank you Colin,

greatly appreciated.  Like many, I was somewhat mislead by the 2 SYN designation.  Now understood, and all I have to do sort out the reverse gear selection.

have a great day
Bernard
Myrtleford Vic, Australia
Can anyone identify this box, I believe it is a 3 speed 1928 - early 1932, there is no top to the box (loosing perhaps an identification number), but stamped on the rear of the box is  7154    0   and letter R on the boss half way Down the RHS of the rear face of the box (Boss not drilled or tapped).
Once I can correctly identify, the box it will be put up for sale. 
Bob

Hi Bob

Definitely a late three speed, I’d say late 31 or 32 judging by the lack of tapped hole for the handbrake stop.

Cheers

Howard
Late 32 was the introduction of the 4 speed box on the RN, but may be continued on other models. The handbrake stop (or lack of) is an interesting datepoint. from the dating and lack of handbrake stop, I guess the top would be this layout:

.jpg   Layout BH130.jpg (Size: 6.09 KB / Downloads: 109)
Thanks Howard.
Bob
Hi Bob

My RK was built in March 30 and has a gear change with the reverse and first on the left. I’m not sure how long this layout lasted and it may have reverted to your layout. Others may advise.

Cheers

Howard