The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Seating Pressure Relief Valve
Hi,

I recently replaced the ball and spring of my pressure relief valve to try to rectify a low oil pressure on start-up issue.

At the time I wasn't too happy with the idea or re-seating the valve my using a drift to bang the ball against the seat so simply cleaned the area and fitted the new parts.

For a different reason, and before being able to try running it, I have had to remove the engine again so have another possible opportunity to try the re-seating process.

I'm still not totally happy with the idea but will be even less happy if I haven't overcome the low oil pressure and have to remove the engine yet again.

What's the general consensus on this?

John.
One good sharp tap against the ball with a brass drift. Always worked for me.

Steve
Me too.
Alan Fairless
Likewise, no need to go crazy.

I'm not sure if you've aired the topic elsewhere John but have you eliminated other possible causes of low oil pressure?
Thanks for the advice, I think I will try using a brass drift to coin in the ball to it's seat.

I did ask a few questions about the low oil pressure earlier and from the replies have removed the sump and checked the oil pump vanes which looked perfect but I did fit new springs anyway.   I couldn't see anything obvious so am hoping the new relief ball and spring will resolve the issue.

The existing ball did have a small rough area which looked like it could have been rust although it cleaned off by simply scraping it with a finger nail.

The oil looked fine with no evidence of water contamination.

I should say that the car had very little use for over a year during which time I was only able to run the engine periodically and it was on one of these start-ups that I suddenly had no oil pressure on the gauge.   I can't compare the gauge with a known good one but I did try using a foot pump with the ball connector just pressed up against the gauge feed pipe and the gauge immediately moved around so I can't imagine it's completely failed.

Thanks,
John.
Have you tried blowing compressed air down the oilways and through the copper pipe that runs from the engine to the gauge to eliminate any possible blockages. If you don’t have access to compressed air try brake cleaner or carb cleaner.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.