The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo Top Mounting Screw / Stud
Is there any reason the top dynamo fixing can't be a stud rather than a bolt?

The thread in my dynamo housing is partially stripped but OK towards the very bottom. Ideally I would fit a Helicoil but a kit is around £25 which is a lot for something I'll probably only use once.

I was thinking of using a stud so that I can run it down into that part of the thread which is OK and probably also bond it in place with something like Screwloc or epoxy.

Any reason why not?

John.
I would invest in a helicoil kit despite the cost. in fact I have done so in the past and subsequently grateful that I have them in stock. They are always useful.
I have gradually built up my collection of thread insert kits as & when I have needed them, and although they aren't used very often, like David I find it is useful to have them in stock. The 1/4 BSW ones are very useful for when you're tightening up that last sump bolt and it goes 'soft'...
I have used a stud very successfully several times. It avoids ruining the thread in the crankcase and I can see no downside.
I too have a home made stud fitted which makes assembly a lot easier.