The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origins of a 9E1-AF cylinder head
Can someone knowledgeable please help me by confirming the origins of a 9E1-AF head. Two differing opinions from two people I respect. One suggested EA Sports are 9C and Nippy 9E... the other that a 9E1 head that sloped down towards the edge furthest from the valves was EA Sports and one flat like the late Ruby was Nippy.

Is there any printed information that would give a definitive answer? 

.jpg   Screenshot_20230830-233211_Gallery.jpg (Size: 114.9 KB / Downloads: 613)

Nick,
Basic rule of thumb is 9E is non-supercharged Ulster, 9C for supercharged.
Good to see another of these patent numbered 9E1 heads, similar to to one I was discussing in an earlier post
OK... following a phone call, slightly more confusion and a third opinion... does anyone know if any replica 9E heads were made with a sloping top (reducing the water capacity and passage width) or if they (as logic would suggest) were generall made with a flat top? It seems an odd detail to replicate in a copy.
I only have the very high compression replica casting!

(31-08-2023, 11:52 AM)Charles P Wrote: I only have the very high compression replica casting!

With a sloping top...
(31-08-2023, 11:58 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(31-08-2023, 11:52 AM)Charles P Wrote: I only have the very high compression replica casting!

With a sloping top...

Indeed. Only the best for my bogus Ulster
I'm indebted to David Howe for freely supplying more information on Ulster reference numbers and corrections where necessary. Thank you.

1.  Parts common to production supercharged and non-supercharged Ulsters are 9C. eg: steering box and rear shock absorber links.

2.  Parts only on the non-supercharged production cars are 9E.

3.  Parts only on the supercharged production cars are 9C - primarily the engine and ancillaries.

4.  9B numbers are found on Works only parts.

5.  SP numbers are found on Super Sports, supercharged engines

6.  1A numbers are found on both 8-stud supercharged and non-supercharged blocks as these are Longbridge modified standard castings.

7.  9C numbers are found on 10 stud blocks, both types.

8.  1 5/16" Ulster cranks will be stamped " Ambrosia " as this company were their manufacturers for the AMCo.

I'm sure the above data will be useful to those wishing to identify or to build up early sporting Sevens.
Can you elaborate on what a “Works Only” car is please, Chris?
Here's another one for you Chris, I did't think they were that uncommon and just assumed that they all had the patent number. This one's on the Type 65 and most of the other sports parts on the car have a 9E number apart from the torque tube socket that is 9C144. The much later Speedy crankcase (M248719) has a 9E199 number. Did the 9E numbers possibly come in with the change to the long chassis but left over 9C parts that could be fitted got went onto early 65's and 75's?    
Forgot to say so hence a quick edit. The head isn't wedge shaped and is the same thickness all over, it also has 18mm plugs.
Both my 9E heads are not wedged.
It is my understanding That the EB65 EB75 and Nippy all used the Ulster 9E head.
I have found the 9E head to make the engine harsh probably due to the combustion happening on one half of the piston tipping the piston which tips into balance as soon as it moves off TDC ( Piston Slap )
There are cast iron, Alloy and Bronze Replica 9E heads in existence.

I paid £5 for one of my 9E heads in 1980 the owner wanted to upgrade to a later head with 14mm plugs.
Neither of us knew what a 9E head was from.
I found out at Longbridge in 1982 when I found one on an Autojumble stall for £30.
My father bought the EB65 which I now have which did not have the correct cylinder head ! So I gave father the 9E head.