The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing Wear in Clutch Mechanism
Hi,

Whilst I have my engine and gearbox out I'd like to see if I can increase the clutch disengagement to avoid the annoying crunch when engaging 1st gear.

It's a 3-speed gearbox and I think the problem is primarily wear in the operating mechanism and on the thrust race housing where the toggles rest.

I've previously fitted new toggles and repaired the slots in the clutch cover where the the fulcrum of the toggles rest so I don't think that's is the issue.

The thrust race housing has previously had three additional slots machined in it but even these are now quite worn and I've read that, at one time, you could get a thin, hardened steel, thrust washer which sat in the housing under the toggle ends to eliminate the wear and give more clutch disengagement.

Does anyone know if these were effective and if they're still available as I can't find ant recent reference to their use?

John.
Hi John

I believe that Ruairidh sells these?

Alternatively use a 4 speed release bearing as in this thread…

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=4095

Cheers

Howard
Clutch bearing conversion update to save making release bearing clips use VW clips the ends need bending and locating holes resizing. Also while you have access to the clutch its worth doing the aid to clutch assembly conversion.
                                                                                                        Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I contacted Ruairidh but he no longer has any of the hardened thrust washers.

It looks like some bearing suppliers list quite large diameter thrust washers which may suit but does anyone know the actual dimensions of the washer I'd need as I've just re-assembled my gearbox and engine and am slightly reluctant to take it apart again unless I can source a suitable washer beforehand.

Alternatively does anyone have a 3-speed thrust bearing housing they would be willing to measure?

Many thanks,
John.