The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pump lubricant
Hello people 
Invested in a Morris minor for winter use.
Has a squeaky water pump I remember putting something in the water to help.
But can’t remember what ?
Regards
          Tim
Not sure if it's what your thinking of and I haven't actually tried it but many years ago I recall people using soluble oil (used as a cutting fluid in machine shops).

It'd designed to act as a coolant and lubricant so can't see why it wouldn't work.
Are you sure it's the pump and not just a loose drive belt?
Google 'water pump lubricant'.
There should be a small cheese head slotted screw about 5/16 " diameter visible in behind the pulley when viewed from the back, Remove the fan and pulley and unscrew the screw and pump some lubricant in there - multi purpose grease according to the workshop manual.

.jpg   MINOR WATER PUMP.jpg (Size: 62.38 KB / Downloads: 227)
Cheers,
Stephen
Hi John P,

Have used soluble oil in D-series Citroen in the '70s and found that it rots radiator hoses in the long term, risk of hose particles migrating through cooling system.

Russell. Sad
Many thanks Gents
Having looked at a replacement picture the pump seems to have a hole instead of the plug in the above
I will investigate further
If the pump is squeaking, this usually means that the bearings have been running dry and are on their way out. Lubrication may be a temporary fix, but, since an A series water pump is about 20 quid or so, I would be inclined to simply replace it. It isn't difficult to do, but remember to fit the bypass hose as you offer the pump back to the front of the engine. They are a bit fiddly to do with the pump bolted up.
Yes David I remember those. I don’t know if they are still available but you could by a bye-pass hose with flutes in it enabling it to be compressed for easier fixing.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi Tiger,

The hole is to allow the escape of coolant leaking past the internal seals, usually a sign that the pump bearings are on the way out.

Russell.