The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rear Warning Lamp
Is it legal in the uk to have a flashing light on the back on the rear of my A7 as they have on bicycles? All I could find online was that some vehicles travelling at 25mph or under could have them. I suppose going uphill we could easily reduce to that speed. Also could they be amber rather than red?
It does seem to be a sensible safety approach as vehicle speeds are so much higher than ours and sometimes we have to take major roads or even motorways if unavoidable.
One of the members of the 750 Club made inquiries about this many years ago and was told it was not legal. I think the provision was reserved for particular classes of vehicle - agricultural for instance. That's not to say the law might not have changed in the meantime.
I have often used one mounted on top of the spare wheel and have never been stopped yet!
I think that they are an excellent and simple idea.
It's essentially illegal as, from memory, I believe that the legislation says a "steady" light. That's why some cyclists wear a flashing light on their clothes - the law says nothing about that!
Still, the chances of you being stopped will be almost zero and, if you are, the policepersonmanwomanittheythemABCD is more likely to be interested in the car.
All our bin wagons have them on when stopped or exceeding the 30 MPH limit.
This was discussed at length and depth a while ago and the conclusion was that it is against current legislation to have a flashing light attached.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks for everybody's responses.
So it is illegal! However I think I will do it anyway for safety as I don't want lorries up my posterior on the A1 or elsewhere.
Maybe there is a body who can take this up with the right authorities to reguest a change. The arguement would be that from time to time we may well drop below 25mph and agricultural vehicles have that concession. It needs lobbying by an organisation bigger than me!
Yes essentially, it’s illegal to have a red flashing light on the rear of the car. As mentioned earlier, it should be a “steady” red light for use as a rear marker or outer edge marker light and only can only be lit/unlit when used as a brake light, to signal that the vehicle is slowing down or stopping.

A flashing amber light is the recognised way to signal a potential hazard or slow moving vehicle and that would be my preferred option (as is often used by modern vehicles that have gone into “limp mode” ) and I think the police are likely to give you less hassle!