The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction from a New Owner!
Lovely lines and proportions. Welcome Tom and enjoy.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
There is a heritage certificate, and I have it!

The chassis and engine are still matching, but all it says is that it was a RHD Export tourer originally delivered in Khaki paint. It doesn't say where it went though, sadly. I am new to the world of Austins, so I am slowly trawling through the internet and order more books for the library trying to piece things together.

An initial exploration of the engine is not terribly encouraging!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You're going to regret taking that side water branch off! Mind you, now's the time to clean all the crap out of the block water galleries. There is a repair available: https://www.ba7c.org/technicalArticles/w...epair.html

Same advice applies to the exhaust manifold...

Please don't try to start the engine or turn it over on the handle until you've taken the sump off, cleaned it out and put in some fresh oil (20W50 or straight SAE30)
Hi

If the certificate says tourer it has clearly been re-bodied rather than built on an export chassis.

To my mind the body is of a style reminiscent of an American Bantam of the forties. Perhaps that is when the car was re-built?

The heritage certificate for my special is, similarly, for an export tourer with no indication of where it was exported.  The only clue I have is that the half shafts were stamped ‘Dufor’ which I believe was an aftermarket manufacturer in Australia.

Good luck with tracing the origin but I doubt the internet will be much use if the car has been lost since the sixties.

Cheers

Howard
I won't. I am long way from starting the engine! I haven't even turned it over by hand. I am in the process of dismantling the front of the car. so that I can get the engine and gearbox out. Given that it has sat for over six decades, I am under no illusion as to how much of a mess it is likely to be inside. One of the bolts holding the side water branch had already been broken off and I managed to break the other. Angry  It's been a while since I drilled out a stud...

The body appears to utilise its original Chummy floor pan and superstructure cleverly married with panels that were presumably taken from crashed more modern cars like for example the Austin 8 parts. Nicely done and not bad looking! I would not worry to much about corrosion in the water ways, almost always the case in long stored cars and only a problem if corrosion has gone through into the bores. Even if that is the case the block could be sleeved or replaced. Please remove the sump clean it out and check for corrosion in the crankcase before attempting a start. You will find lots of good advice here, and maybe one or two questionable ideas, but overall any information you need is freely and generally readily available form multiple forum members.
Black Art Enthusiast
Well, the general strip down has continued.

Let's see what lurks within!

I think that it's most likely to be Vintage - i.e. made before 1931. The engine number 109,*** would put the car as having been manufactured before mid-1930 (my AF from late 1930 was 119,113) - I'd guess June or July of the year? It also has the pre-AF "semi-circular" fuel tank and not the later 5-gallon rectangular job. The dash also lacks the later oil pressure gauge. A very interesting and attractive Seven!
I'm with Mike on the likely Spanish origin of this one.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. It is April 1930 according to the heritage certificate. For some reason I keep thinking it is ‘31!